Thread: Mr Wolfe's Miter Saw Station

Mr Wolfe's Miter Saw Station

miter station 1.jpg miter station 2.jpg miter station 3.jpg

This is a recent project for my new shop. I really shopped around looking for a compact sliding miter saw before I chose this Craftsman 10” single bevel sliding miter saw. I am extremely happy with it even though it almost seems like a downgrade from my larger Dewalt. What I really like is the forward sliding rail system that allows me to position the saw almost against the wall. The rails are stationary and the saw is what travels forward on the rails. It allows me to use a big tool in a small space. The cabinet is a re-purposed set of two steel cabinets with drawers and five sets of wall cabinets hung on french cleats. I took all the paint off of the cabinets and repainted them with that hammered metal/pewter paint. I built the frames and bases that the cabinets sit on as well as all the trim for both sets of fixtures. The tops of the cabinets are two layers of MDF 3/4 inch with a laminate counter-top sheeting. Total work surface of the counter-top is 24 inches by 96 inches. I also made two risers you can see in the first picture and a removable top for the center counter. They get moved around the shop as needed which is very helpful.

miter station 7.jpg

This pic shows the station with the center piece in place and before I built the wooden cubbie between the two double sets of wall cabinets. You can also see the 5th set of wall cabinets between the two base cabinets.
    The removable center piece allows me to bolt the miter saw in place and the saw is level with the rest of the counter or remove it completely and put the center piece in place to have a large workbench/assembly table. Also, the two risers in the first picture are completely removable or can be placed on the cabinet drawers and doors by way of routed grooves cut into the bottoms to expand the depth of the table top. With the wings connected to the table top the dimensions of the work surface expand to 34 inches by 96 inches. This allows me to use the sliding miter saw to make fully supported cuts on wide stock up to 12 inches.

miter station 4.jpg miter station 5.jpg miter station 6.jpg

I intend to add some lights on the bottom of the upper cabinets sometime but my small shop has 7 huge windows and 2 doors with glass panels so for now lighting is not a huge issue.
    I use clamps and wooden jigs for a fence and stop system. This allows me to use the table bare naked as an assembly table when I am not using the miter saw.
    I will make a blog post of the shop I’ve built when I am “finished”.... I am very close now.
    Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 04-10-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Looks like a pretty functional and attractive setup! Nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim,
    My shop is small so i really try to double or triple up on how I use a space. This is a multi-functional bench/cabinet/saw station and I'm happy with it.
    Jon