Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuming White Oak

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I just popped a cradle into my "chamber" -- actually, it's an unused Rubbermaid chip separator bin with a super large trash bag inserted -- and am cooking it with industrial-strength ammonia. In the past, i only lightly sanded the post-fumed white oak prior to applying shellac sanding sealer and, then, several coats of lacquer, but I'm curious to know what the rest of you do--? I think 2-3 days should give good results.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Strong ammonia and 2-3 days should equal nut brown. It gets darker with finish applied too. Here's another overnight exposure. The lighting makes it look more gold than it really is.

15226667349_93e2e1236c_o.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Here are some preliminary views of the cradle -- I call it "Merida's Ark" -- after 48 hours of fuming with commercial-grade ammonia hydroxide. I have applied a lacquer sanding sealer, but nothing else yet. The lettering will be inlaid with colored quartz, and I plan to airbrush the rather strange color band on the lower part of the foot. I'll post better quality photos later.

Gotta say, I've never had quartersawn oak darken this much before. It could be because this is the first time I've been able to buy the heavy-duty stuff. I like it.

Merida's Ark Cradle 1.jpg Merida's Ark Cradle 2.jpg

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Yup. Nut brown. What a rich looking finish. Throw an oil finish on top of that and it will be a stunner.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.