Thread: A quick Intro

A quick Intro

Hello all,

I've been a member here for about three years now. I joined mainly to be able to view pictures, but i've spent many hours absorbing all the useful information everyone contributes.

With your guidance I've amassed a small collection of tools: Stanleys #3 - #5, a Stanley #78, a set of Aldi chisels, a set of Marples chisels (before the Irwin buyout), a brace and set of bits, a Veritas dovetail saw, and a few other miscellaneous bits and pieces. Most of these have been purchased for $30 or less.
    My most used tool is a Tage Frid style bench (made from teak!!) found at a garage sale three blocks from my house. Well, in all honesty, my dad found and bought the bench, but its on permanent loan to me.

So after a couple years of generating oddly cut, expensive firewood, I finally have a couple of projects which are not only finished, but reasonably resemble actual things!

First is a tool caddy:
    IMG_0055.jpg

Made from poplar, and able to hold all the tools used in its construction:
    IMG_0046.jpg

Next is a shaker-style step stool:
    IMG_0168.jpg

Made from cypress and finished with danish oil and wax. This was built as a gift for my mother-in-law to replace a similar stool built by her father 70 years ago that had seen almost daily use.
    When I presented her with the stool, I was also showing off the tool caddy, and my father-in-law expressed how much he could use one. So I gave him the tool caddy before I had a chance to paint it.

Emboldened by these successes, I have three projects in the works, a coffee table for my wife, and a pair of desks for my boys. The coffee table is based on Richard Maguire's "Side Table" series, while the desks will be shaker-esque.

Steve

Nice precise work. Thanks for posting. A teak workbench, eh? You have a lot to live up to. Don't hesitate to post what's on your mind. Nobody else does.

Doug

When you make things people want you are an instant success! Tage Frid taught being productive, fix you mistakes and move on. Those workbenches were made the first week in his class! Must have been a long week. That bench will be your greatest asset.
    Keep learning and making, buy tools you really need as you go.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Nice work Steve! That tool caddy reminds me of Roy Underhill’s at the beginning of his show.

Nice stuff!

Welcome Steve, Glad you've begunn posting and like your work!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Looks like you are off to a good start. Nice work!

Blog Entries
    I'm impressed. Nice work.

Blog Entries
    A couple of great projects, looking forward to more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I love both of them..... Last time I saw a similar tool caddie posted I think it was from another guy named Steve on the forum.....

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! Trust me, the pictures make those pieces look better than they are. I managed to poke a hole in the side of the tool tote when nailing the bottom on (I didn't take a picture of that side!) and the joints are gappier than they appear, although you can tell which joints I cut first, and which ones I cut last, as the gaps get tighter as my skills improved.

Mark, I watched a lot of the Woodwright's Shop while recovering from a motorcycle crash (one of my reasons for getting into this hobby.) Roy's tool caddy must have been subconciously influencing my design.

Jim, it was your welcome to me in another thread that prompted me to do this intro, I didn't want to derail the other guy's thread.

I will be posting more in the near future, and I promise to try not to start a sharpening thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaminska View Post
    I will be posting more in the near future, and I promise to try not to start a sharpening thread!
    Wait, I thought starting a sharping thread was a requirement of membership....

Nice work Steve, my favorite woodworking projects are the ones intended as gifts. Its always a blessing to have someone appreciate the labor of a hand made piece.