Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three hinges or four?

Three hinges or four?

I was planning to install 3 Blum hinges on these pantry doors but after building them today they are heavier than I thought they would be. Each door is 18" x 72" built with poplar frames and 1/4" MDF panels. Should I install 4 hinges instead of 3 per door or would 4 be overkill?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by julian abram; 04-09-2018 at 4:18 PM.

60+" to 78" you need 4 per door. Above 78 is 5 i believe

What size hinge ?

Door thickness ?

Frames are 3/4" x 2 1/2" poplar
    Hinges are Blum 110° Clip Top Hinge, Full-cranked, Screw-On

There's a diagram in the Blum catalog that gives you the guidelines you're seeking. I think Mark's response above is probably quoting from it.
    Edwin

Ok, thanks. I did pull up the Blum installation guide earlier today, tons of spec info but could not find anything concerning vertical spacing. I'm sure I must have overlooked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    There's a diagram in the Blum catalog that gives you the guidelines you're seeking. I think Mark's response above is probably quoting from it.
    Edwin
    We use Salice but all of the euro hinges have similar specs.

My gut says three. Any time there's more than two hinges it creates problems with getting them to adjust nicely and not have something bind. The door should be relatively light for it's size, if it had a back cut raised panel I'd maybe consider adding a fourth.

3 for me....

Doors that size should need no more than three.

My pantry doors are 15” x 56” and they have 4. Previous owners had the kitchen redone, so I didn’t make them. If it was me I might do 4 just for insurance. Only a couple bucks per hinge.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My pantry doors are 15” x 56” and they have 4. Previous owners had the kitchen redone, so I didn’t make them. If it was me I might do 4 just for insurance. Only a couple bucks per hinge.
    I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe those hinges are rated at approximately 9-10 lbs/hinge. That being said, my standard is-if a door is over 36" tall, it gets 3 hinges, if it is over 60" it gets 4.

Poplar with 1/4" panels shouldn't be that heavy. 3should do fine, but if you are worried, then go for4

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My gut says three. Any time there's more than two hinges it creates problems with getting them to adjust nicely and not have something bind. The door should be relatively light for it's size, if it had a back cut raised panel I'd maybe consider adding a fourth.
    This may be true, however I used FIVE hinges on some doors in a bathroom storage place similar to a pantry, and there was enough adjustability in the Blum hinges that I had no issues. Might have been my lucky day, I don't know.

I admit I tend to err on the side of more rather than less...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant View Post
    I don't have the specs in front of me, but I believe those hinges are rated at approximately 9-10 lbs/hinge. That being said, my standard is-if a door is over 36" tall, it gets 3 hinges, if it is over 60" it gets 4.
    The weight per hinge really has very little to do with it. All of the manufacturers have specs for the fixed number of hinges per door based on HEIGHT not weight. They are in every hardware manfuacturers catalog from Blum, to Grass, to Salice, and so on. They do extensive testing and are not trying to sell an extra 3$ hinge. Any of the big name manufacturers will call out four hinges from something over 60" up to like 78". Above 78 its five.

I never can never understand why would want a single pantry door over 80" tall that is only 1" or so (we often go 1 1/8" on tall doors) thick but when they do, the extra hinges add a lot of rigidity to a thin, tall, door and are simple to adjust, you just adjust each hinge sequentially and the door does exactly what you want it to. Now if its going to stay flat or not, that is the issue.