Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saw Stop Or Incra miter gauge. Choose one - not both

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Fair enough. I have considered purchasing a Sawstop machine mostly because I'm concerned about getting older and my attention slipping. My grandfather lost a finger and great grandfather lost a thumb on a table saw. Both when they were in their 60's I'm 55 now. If I were younger I'd choose the Incra over the Sawstop safety, today I'm kind of leaning towards Sawstop. That's the only reason why I asked if it has saved you yet.
    That’s exactly why I got one. When I decided to retire SawStop was very new. I showed my wife the videos they had online and she told me to get one. While it hasn’t “saved me” yet that’s fine. I even don’t mind having the brake go off when it hit my Incra meter gauge. It’s a fantastic saw and I enjoy using it. The safety feature is just an extra that makes my wife and I feel better about me being out in the shop cutting wood.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    The safety feature is just an extra that makes my wife and I feel better about me being out in the shop cutting wood.
    , and that's a great reason.

My dad used to own a small avocado grove in Fallbrook before he passed away. It's a pretty area.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I don't see why one has to choose. Many have suggested a sacrificial add on fence to the Incra. While I don't have a SawStop I do have the Incra 1000HD and love it. I have always made it a practice after setting the angle to make a "dry run". Push the miter gage through like you were making a cut with the saw off. In some instances you might want to adjust it closer to the blade. It just takes a few seconds to do this. I agree that The Incra miter gages are as good as any. Even if I get a SawStop in the future I have no intention of giving up my miter gage. In my opinion you can have both. So now.....you can take $2 and my opinion and get a cup of coffee. PS: don't forget the $2!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    So I did this back on day-one. Easily replaceable. I have them different lengths and for common angle cuts as well. HTH.

Attachment 383513Attachment 383514Attachment 383509Attachment 383510

You just mill a length of hardwood that fits into the Incra extrusion. This becomes your blank and you can cut from it as you need. I glue the rabetted "flags" onto the piece of blank. I have never had one fail. I retain them with a small screw into an existing hole in the extrusion (I know some extrusions are different).

Great idea......another way to engage my other hobby, cool stuff for the shop...and keep expenses down.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Been there Prashun. I have the Incra 5000 sled and it is incredible--1/2 deg!!--and "comfortable" cutting small, accurate pieces loaded on the sled. I use it all the time and still use the Sawstop miter for quick 90deg crosscuts, less effort than loading up the sled. I got the 5000 when I bought out a hobbiest shop estate sale, otherwise I would have been too cheap buy new. I tripped the brake early on, haven't since, there wasn't even a mark on the anodized fence. Didn't think to call Sawstop and chisel for a freebie brake!! Only downside is I can't use it with the left tilt blade. If you are considering getting the 5000 consider getting the right side of blade model.

John, I don't have the Incra 5000 but my Miter Express (Incra's smaller sled) could be assembled either way, left side or right. If you don't have the original 5000 assembly instructions, you might download them from Incra. Might just be a matter of switching the panels around.

Thanks Nick,
    It didnt look like it could be switched but I didnt have instructions. I will look them up. JCB

Love my Incra 5000 on my Sawstop.

When I got my Sawstop, I imagined that I’d make the same mistake with miscellaneous jigs. As a result, I keep the edges of my jigs around 2” away from the blade.

I don’t think I’ve ever used a sacrificial fence on my miter gauge or sliding table. My box joint and dovetail jigs use them, but I skip them on most of my other jigs for the TS. Generally speaking, I clean up long edges after final assembly with a sander, plane or jointer. I don’t feel that the increase in performance is worth the inconvenience of having to manage an additional accessory. I’ve always perceived them as an additional thing for me to worry about, or as an other tool that could become inaccurate. It might also be worth pointing out that I cut miters on the miter saw. However, all other finished crosscuts happen on the TS.

I don't understand why this is a problem. I have used the same Incra miter gauge for 15 years and haven't cut metal yet.

I have the Miter 5000 and a SawStop and haven't done this....yet. I don't cut many angles though. There is one thing I do before every new series of operations with my power tools that has saved me from something like this, or even possible injury. I basically do a dry run cut. I make my hands go through the motions. If I am using jigs I move them through the motions just to see if anything is out of whack. It's helped me catch plenty of potential issues.

You can pry both my SawStop and my Incra from my cold, dead hands.

Blog Entries
    Was the miter gauge at fault????
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I think I'll pull the trigger an Incra sled soon. There are too many good things about that sled..... I did read Prashuns earlier underwear changing events from long ago, and I do think (hopefully) I can avoid having said vent. While I personally have not tripped my saw, I do know someone who did have a finger saving trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I love my Sawstop.
    I love my Incra miter gauge.

I hate them together.

I just tripped the brake for the 3rd time in about 5 years. Every time it's the same thing: change the angle of the cut and the distance of the aluminum backer to the blade changes. I know better. I am still doomed to repeat this stupid mistake again, I fear.

3 brakes, 3 blades, 3 pairs of underwear. All ruined ...
    Same set up here, did it once too. Ruined a new Forrest WWII. Hang in there.