Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop Or Incra miter gauge. Choose one - not both

Love my SS...

SS.JPG
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I took the hex head bolts out and put levers in to make it much quicker and easier to slide the fence. To remind myself I put red tape around the levers and a some string.

I did it once and mounted the blade and brake where I can see it from my Sawstop. It is a plaque to my stupidity.

I put a sacrificial wood fence on the front of my Incra. It prevents stupidity and works great as a sacrificial fence.

I had this happen to me the first week I had my SS. I was using an Accumiter which has an aluminum bar. It did not touch the blade, but was close enough to trigger it, according to Tech at SS. They gave me a "rookie replacement" cartridge at no cost and I have avoided a repeat. Love the saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I added aWooden flag to the end of my gauge extrusion. I’ll try to post pics once I’m not on my phone.
    So I did this back on day-one. Easily replaceable. I have them different lengths and for common angle cuts as well. HTH.

Incra v-27 mod (2).jpgV-27 Mods (3).jpgV-27 Mods (5).jpgV-27 Mods (4).jpg

You just mill a length of hardwood that fits into the Incra extrusion. This becomes your blank and you can cut from it as you need. I glue the rabetted "flags" onto the piece of blank. I have never had one fail. I retain them with a small screw into an existing hole in the extrusion (I know some extrusions are different).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I do all of the above: wood extrusion auxiliary fence, use a plywood sled whenever possible. I am also super careful. It's easy to be super careful 99.9% of the time. It's hard to do it 100% of the time - and Murphy works 100% of the time.
    Thanks... I just expelled beer through my nose........

I have a Sawstop. I guess I'll pass on the Incra miter. Assuming it's the nice one. I have the small one. Can't reach the blade.

Blog Entries
    Prashun, right after you reported your first mishap with the Incra, I made a sacrificial fence faced with sandpaper for mine. I always keep it extended an inch or so past the end of the extrusion so I have a bit of a buffer. So thank you, I'm sure you've saved me a brake/blade at least once. I did trip it once cutting a board with some graphite fabric glued to it.

As for the miter guides, the SawStop guide is good, better than the average stock guide, but I wouldn't give up my Incra. It took at least an hour of farting around to get it dead on accurate (which at that price is unforgivable) but since then it's been perfect.

I love my Incra miter gauges. I have a 1000 and a 3000, and am getting ready to add another for my other saw, a Whitney No. 77. I have to machine a new bar for it, but these miters are the best out there that I have seen, and I've tried many. They are very accurate and repeatable.

Other than, maybe, a quadrant on a sliding table saw, they are as good as it gets.
    Jeff

I have both.
    I nicked the gauge on my old Grizzly 10 years ago. It won't (knock on wood) happen again.

You brought me tears...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I love my Sawstop.
    [...]

3 brakes, 3 blades, 3 pairs of underwear. All ruined ...
    You brought me tears... lots of them... laughing as crazy!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 04-10-2018 at 5:27 PM. Reason: typo error, as usual...

Well thanks for pointing this out. I have an Incra and never thought about the clearance.

The mantra on the Ryobi BT3000 forum was to paint a red line in line with the blade kerf. Any thing crossing the line would be cut!
    Just a Duffer

Prashun, toss the mitre gauge.

Make a mitre sled..( or pay more attention to what you're doing)............Regards, Rod.

Rod, a sled is great for common angles, not for odd angles. The Incra mg is great for odd angles.

I'll just pay more attention. Look for a new "Definition of Insanity" post from me in another couple months...

One poster indicated he would like to buy an Incra Miter Sled. With the Incra Sled, there would never be a need to have the aluminum fence close enough to the blade to accidentally have it come in contact with the blade. Actually I'd say that, even without the sled, there should never be a reason to have the fence that close. If that is important than install a wood sub-fence. That will allow you to have a fence right on the blade that isn't going to trip the Sawstop brake.