Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBN Wheels....wobble???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CBN Wheels....wobble???

What if you get a CBN wheel for your SSG and it has a wobble to it? I'm trying to setup my SSG to run CBN wheels and there is no noticable runout on either end of the shaft. Please advise.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Assuming the wheel is not at fault then the seat at the inner end of the arbor may be the problem. You can compensate by using two piece spherical washers. Woodworkers' Wonders carries them as do machinist supply houses like MSC.

I just put a cbn wheel from Hurricane Tools on my bench grinder. It came with several machined spacers for the inside of the wheel and instructions to not use the stock stamped inner flange. Spins like a top!

It usually means that the hole in th wheel is slightly larger than the shaft diameter. One way to correct the problem is to use spherical washers to make the wheel run perpendicular to the shaft.
    Bill

Thank you! Looks like spherical washers are in my future! Y'all are awesome!
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I just recently got some CBN wheels from Woodworkers' Wonders. I got a spherical washer kit from there too. They run really true.Ken at Woodworkers' Wonders is great to work with too!!!

What is an SSG. Could not answer this question because I don't know what your talking about.

Slow speed grinder is my guess
    "Everything will be alright in the end.... If it isn't alright, then it isn't the end!"

Ahh. Brain wasn't working this morning. Did you have to use an adaptor for the spindle size or does the wheel fit directly on. If you used an adaptor that could be the problem. Other than that try loosening the nut, rotate the wheel a little and tighten. Quite often one or two tries of that will solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    Ahh. Brain wasn't working this morning. Did you have to use an adaptor for the spindle size or does the wheel fit directly on. If you used an adaptor that could be the problem. Other than that try loosening the nut, rotate the wheel a little and tighten. Quite often one or two tries of that will solve the problem.
    Good Morning John,
    SSG is Slow Speed Grinder....
    No adapter required for the CBN wheels but there is enough "play" between the hole in the wheels and the shaft on my grinder that yields a fairly significant wobble.
    I did go ahead and order the wobble washer set from Ken.
    Dennis -

Dennis,

Not sure what brand SSG or CBN wheels you have but here's my experience marrying the two with Ken Rizza's wheels and several different brands of SSG's. Had the CBN wheels on a Delta variable speed grinder and when the grinder went kaput, tried them on the famous Woodcraft no-name and Rikon 1/2HP grinders that I had at the time. Issue for me was I needed to use the spherical washers but that didn't leave much room for the nut to screw onto the shaft. It worked fine but I always felt a little uneasy when starting the grinder waiting for a wheel to fly off. Bought a 1HP Rikon that was designed to use CBN with a longer shaft and a much more substantial shaft shoulder for the wheel hub to rest against. Here's a couple pics to show the difference.
    rikon 1.jpgrikon 3.jpgrikon 2.jpgrikon 4.jpgrikon 6.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I have the PC SSG and the Hurricane CBN wheels fit perfectly on the shaft with no play. I would think that since the wheels are machined true the grinder shaft may be an issue.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    What if you get a CBN wheel for your SSG and it has a wobble to it? I'm trying to setup my SSG to run CBN wheels and there is no noticable runout on either end of the shaft. Please advise.
    As others mentioned, the spherical washers worked perfectly for the three CBN wheels I use.

Side-to-side wobble? I think that problem is sometimes due to irregularities in the standard washers that come with the grinders. For the CBN wheels on the Tormek I didn't use the spherical washers since the shaft was too short but I did flatten one washer with sand paper on a surface plate. The other washer I used was precision machined. No detectable wobble.

If the wobble is radial runout due to sloppy fit between the shaft and the hole in the wheel I'd probably try to center it with a bit of shim. I have extremely thin plastic and brass shim stock.

JKJ

One spherical washer to a wheel and never two, there is a recent thread where someone tried two and it does not work. There is probably nothing wrong with the shaft, the usual problem is the very poor tolerances of the threads on both the nut and the shaft and the nut can flop all over the place.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I have an older Woodcraft grinder. On one side even with the spherical washers the wheel would wobble. I tried washers one side then the other side of the wheel including just one washer without success. After close inspection I could see that the ledge on the shaft where the wheel or washer rests against had 2 small dings that deformed the edge slightly making it impossible for the wheel to seat properly. I carefully filed just the spots where metal protruded and that took care of the issue. If you have to do this be careful since you could make it worse.

I got the spherical washers in on Thursday. I've spent an hour this morning just trying to get both sides to run true. One side was easy enough to get to run true. The other side continues to fight me all the way. The wheel wobbles enough to vibrate the entire grinder and bench I have it mounted to. My hope was that with these new wheels and washers that it would vibrate as badly as the old AO wheels I had on there. I finally got frustrated enough to come back in here in the house and post here on SMC.
    I can't find any shaft runout, perfectly smooth, even when running full speed with no wheels on it. I guess I'll have to go and look even closer at it.

Another question....both side tighten in the same direction. How to you get the wheels tight without spinning the other side loose?
    Dennis -