Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBN Wheels....wobble???

Ok, I went back out to the shop and removed both wheels. No burrs or bumps on either shoulder for either side of the motor. I put my dial indicator on both sides to check shaft runout. Left side, dial never budged from 0.000" and the other side moved to what I'd call 0.0002". I put the flat washers back on first (cleaning everything from shaft to both sides of each washer piece) that came with the spherical washers I ordered from Ken. Then I put on the 80 grit wheel, then both halves of one spherical washer and then the nut to hold it on the shaft. I left it a touch loose, turned on the grinder and it spun up and the wheel lined up pretty good. I did the same for the other side. Wobble with the 220 grit wheel. I put my dial indicator on each wheel (in the flat hub space near the grinding surface, but far enough back to not be effected by those surfaces) and measured each wheel. The dial indicator measured eactly the same for both wheels.....0.015"
    The wheels I ordered came from Buffalo Woodturning Products. They look like really good wheels, but I'm lost at this point on how to get these mounted without the side to side wobble.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Swap the wheels and make sure the washers are lubricated on the sliding faces, also do not over tighten the nuts.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Had the same issue with the Rikon 1 Hp. I used ball bearings, with the same shaft diameter, between the cbn and the stop on the shaft on the motor side of the wheel. Smooth as silk. I don't think the stock hubs are cast to any exactness, and those wheels did have a terrible wobble. I did use their hub against the nut and wheel though, or maybe I used another bearing - don't rememder. The bearings were a little wide, so I had to move out the guard plate a tad, because it biased the wheel alittle outboard - away from the motor. Smoooooth!

Dennis,

This may sound crazy but it's coming from me. What did you expect?

Are the nuts making contact a full 360º against the washers or wheels? When I first got my Woodcraft slow grinder I had a similar problem with one wheel. It turned out that the threaded hole in one of the nuts wasn't perpendicular to the face of the nut. Thus the face of that nut was only touching in a small area. The grinder was new but it's 220 miles round trip to the Woodcraft where I bought it. But my Ace hardware store had a RH nut of the right thread and size. I replaced the nut. The new one made contact as you would expect (360º) and there was no more wobble.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dennis,

This may sound crazy but it's coming from me. What did you expect?

Are the nuts making contact a full 360º against the washers or wheels? When I first got my Woodcraft slow grinder I had a similar problem with one wheel. It turned out that the threaded hole in one of the nuts wasn't perpendicular to the face of the nut. Thus the face of that nut was only touching in a small area. The grinder was new but it's 220 miles round trip to the Woodcraft where I bought it. But my Ace hardware store had a RH nut of the right thread and size. I replaced the nut. The new one made contact as you would expect (360º) and there was no more wobble.
    Hummmmmm......that's something I haven't thought to check. I'll look at that tonight after work.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Hummmmmm......that's something I haven't thought to check. I'll look at that tonight after work.
    My post explains why this is the likely cause due to poor tolerances.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening