Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockler Workbench Casters

Rockler Workbench Casters

I seem to recall that a few here have mentioned these but can't seem to find the threads where they were talked about. If you have them, are they sturdy? Easy to lower and retract? Any problem with mounting them on the insides of the bench legs? (I'd rather avoid ankle biters.)

I'm getting ready to build a moveable bench and would like to have them in hand before I start laying out dimensions.

Thanks!

No problems with mine. My bench is 300+ pounds, depending on what's on the shelf. I have overhang on both ends, so I've never hit them.

Thanks, Jason. Overhangs are probably a good idea, might have to rethink that.

I have some that look very similar, and they work well:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the exact product that Dan just linked to on my bench.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Rockler ones on my 250 + pound workbench and have had no problems. The ones in the Amazon link look exactly the same. My workbench also overhangs so no issues with ankle bites. I used 1/4" x 1 1/2 " lag bolts to secure them. If I recall correctly I had to drill the holes slightly large to accommodate the larger bolts but worth doing if your bench is on the heavy side. I also glued pieces of thick rubber on the bottom of the leg pads on my bench. This not only makes my bench immovable when the casters are retracted but also helps with the slight unevenness and possible moisture wicking from my bare concrete floor.

Lifting just one corner at a time seems like it would twist or at least stress a workbench. Anyone have trouble with that ?

Personally, I haven't experienced any issues with twisting, and my bench has several inset drawers on the front (so it should be particularly sensitive to that). I don't think it's atypically sturdy, either.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably go with the ones from Amazon (Powertec). There's a lengthy review over there, comparing them to the Rockler version. Sounds like they're almost identical, with a slight nod to Powertec. Powertecs are less money, plus easier returns with Amazon Prime.

As benches go, mine will be fairly small (one-car garage shop) and won't be loaded down with heavy machinery. Should be fine.

John Z,

I like the idea of rubber on the leg bottoms. What kind of rubber did you use? I have some self-adhesive rubber stuff from Lee Valley, left over from another project, thinking that might do the trick.

This kind of bench mobility isn't "pretty" getting things up on the casters one at a time--I've found it to be slightly awkward, honestly. But it's effective for having to physically move a bench when it's necessary and for the money, not a bad option at all..
    --

I agree, Jim. I use the same (Rockler--but the Powertec one is a rebadged clone) casters and this weekend had to move the bench to resurface and reflatten the bench top. One of the corner casters took some effort to raise, I had to put on work boots and stomped down hard to get that corner up. The next one was easier, but the opposite corner had the same difficulty. Also, with three corners up the fourth one wanted to tip. I'm also finding that moving the bench around to an exact spot is difficult, once the casters start to roll the heavy bench will not want to stop. So it took some adjustments on my part to get the bench back to its original spot.

Honestly it's a pain but, as you said, it's better than wrestling a 300lbs bench with no casters. It's a good thing that I don't need to move my bench often, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    This kind of bench mobility isn't "pretty" getting things up on the casters one at a time--I've found it to be slightly awkward, honestly. But it's effective for having to physically move a bench when it's necessary and for the money, not a bad option at all..

Yes, I kinda know what you mean from the front casters on my bandsaw. I shudder every time I lower them down to the floor. They use a similar mechanism, which makes a bit of a jolt when they land.

The bench won't get moved every time I use it, maybe once or twice a week, and the legs will be on the floor most of the time. Luckily, it's a smooth concrete floor so I don't need off-road capabilities. Such is the life of working in a small shop.

Yea, if I were going to move my bench a lot, I'd go back to Geoff Noden's setup for my Adjust-A-Bench because it's certainly more elegant and raises a whole end at a time. I originally had them, but found my bench was pretty much stationary for several years and wasn't enjoying the "ankle biter" issue when I wasn't paying attention. With my CNC coming soon, I had to again make sure that I could move the bench since it now shares the place where I tend to spray finishes which was previously just open area. Hence, the Powertec casters. Oh, my situation with these casters is "more fun" because I also have a sloped floor and have to shim the end of the bench on the downhill side about 1/2" for level. It's a dance...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    John Z,

I like the idea of rubber on the leg bottoms. What kind of rubber did you use? I have some self-adhesive rubber stuff from Lee Valley, left over from another project, thinking that might do the trick.
    Nick, the rubber I used was from a supply of gasket material that I bought over 40 years ago. Without going out to my pole barn to measure I'm guessing it to be about 1/16" thick. I used urethane glue for my 4 pieces that are roughly 3" x 4" each. I'm sure whatever you have will work OK as long as it's not real thin. And if the self adhesive doesn't stick well you can always re-glue it but if your bench is somewhat heavy it shouldn't be a problem.