Thread: Replacement Windows

Replacement Windows

We're in the planning stages of a house remodel/update. Been going to home shows and trying to look at replacement windows and the one that has caught our eye so far is the Marvin Infinity. We like the Everwood finish that can be stained any color we want. The sales rep told us that the window an be built as a slip in replacement or built with nailing fins and will fit the rough openings of the old windows.

What are the replacement windows that some of you folks have used? What were the features that sold you on the brand you chose, and what is the opinion of Marvin windows?

TIA
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Marvin tends to be one of the better window manufacturers and IMHO, working with one of the better manufacturers is a good idea...there are many folks hawking replacement windows and I suspect many are of dubious quality. They look great at first, but....

Of the two types of replacements that you mention, the slip in certainly require less labor and disruption to install since they utilize the existing window structure. IE, no changes to trim, etc. The potential downside is that they can actually decrease the actual window size if they don't have a "thin edge" design. You are also not dealing with any energy inefficiency of the existing window structure/frame; just the "glass". If this type is best for you, then be sure to consider this factor and invest accordingly. The built-in type is pretty much a regular, new window structure that completely replaces the old windows. There's more work involved because you're completely removing the trim and old window, doing a standard installation and then re-trimming, painting, etc. The benefit is that the whole window structure can be more efficient than what it replaces and there's opportunity to properly seal around the new window structure, too, before buttoning things up. That helps reduce air infiltration.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Going through the same thing myself right now and looking and listening. Last year I had Replacement by Anderson down and had them pitch their windows. have to say they have a beautiful product and well made with nice hardware. I am looking for just slip-ins too. Nothing wrong with them but do not want to disturb moldings and redo things. The biggest drawback was the huge price that went with them. Yes they are a better window but it is a window. You get what you pay for but I can not pull the trigger on such a steep cost. I tried everything to get them to move on price but they are firm and come with all the ammo to shoot down everyone's product. Over 1-1/2 hour demo. Still looking.
    John T.

Didn't look at Anderson, we like the Marvins cause they're made from fiberglass and the inside finish looks like real wood. Haven't even talked price yet but like Jim said we're probably better off with a proven window company rather than the window hawkers that tell you you're getting 75% off on installation blah, blah blah. Personally I have a feeling that the fiberglass will be better than the vinyls, don't know what I can afford though.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Replacement by Andersen are top quality. My in-laws had them installed and they were very pleased. They now have ones that are stainable. Amndersen and Marvin Infinity are the first two I would consider.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it pays to check out local manufacturers. 20 years ago we had the "state of the art" vinyl sliding windows taken out that I put in our 1975 new build. A local firm, OxboWindow, made a very nice wood casement style window with aluminum clad exterior that seemed the equivalent of any other window we looked at. Competitive price too. I stained and varnished the insides before installation. Still going strong. We have a brick home, so the flange style were out of the running. Same time period we replaced steel casement windows at church with exterior clad wood windows by Pella. Terrible choice, they sagged and the crank and latch mechanisms have failed on many windows.
    NOW you tell me...

3 years ago when I replaced our windows, I elected to remove the exterior and interior trim to go with the tab installation. The window at the head of our bed on my wife's side had leaked air since I replaced the original windows over 30 years ago. Note I used tab installation then too. This time I was able insure proper use of caulking and then use canned spray window foam insulation. My wife is very happy with the results. While the windows I installed over 30 years ago were the latest technology at the time, they were inferior to the ones I most recently installed. We get regular reports from our utility provider on our energy useage compared to previous years. Increased insulation in our attic plus the new vinyl windows resulted in a 17% reduction in our energy useage.

Yes, I had to redo the interior and exterior trim but it was worth the effort to me. YMMV.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    We replaced all our windows with slip in replacements by Great Lakes. We purchased their 100% vinyl windows, with insulated frames, double pane Low-E glass, anti-burglar tabs for when the windows are open and tilt in double hung panes with screens. They came with a lifetime warranty. We've had them nearly 20 years and have had just 2 of 45 thermo panes leak. Both were replaced under warranty. They all open and close easily, don't leak air or water and will stay put wherever you leave the sash.

Just be sure to get accurate measurements taken and insure that all your openings are square. You'll want to seal the rough framing into the side of the house with weather seal tape.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute