Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools From Japan

I have only sharpened a couple of A2 irons, so make no claim to be an expert on sharpening them, and on the few I have sharpened, I only worked to a sharp edge. I find the 1k stone to be really fast at removing scratches left from the 400 stone. I also use flat bevels, and no micro-bevels, but don't spend any time on stones to get to that flat bevel. If one needs grinding, I grind it a tiny bit sharper angle than the bevel I want to end up with, and the flat gradually takes over in subsequent sharpenings.

For me, an edge only sees a grinder if it's damaged, and otherwise, the stones coarser than 6k don't see much use unless the edge has visited the grinder. 6k is typically my starting point when in the middle of a job. For my use, these are my favorite stones, but I only finish bevels, and backs with them.

It's a shame when business and personal life mix. Almost 6 months and counting on my order. Will shop elsewhere from now on unfortunately.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys Hurcombe View Post
    It's a shame when business and personal life mix. Almost 6 months and counting on my order. Will shop elsewhere from now on unfortunately.
    Howdy Rhys and welcome to the Creek.

An experience like yours is good reason for anyone to lose your business unless your order was for chisels from a blacksmith with a long lead time.

Has there been any communication with Stu at all?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Rhys and welcome to the Creek.

An experience like yours is good reason for anyone to lose your business unless your order was for chisels from a blacksmith with a long lead time.

Has there been any communication with Stu at all?

jtk
    That was going to be my question....What did you order? Some makers have a year or more backlogs. You pays yer money and forget about it until the tools arrive. If you are in a hurry pay too much for inferior tools from Japan Woodworker/Woodcraft. Either way works.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Unfortunately for you guys, I am entitled to one.
    I disagree Brian.... You should say "FORTUNATELY"...

Also, just because someone may not share your opinion does not mean that they do not want to hear it. I am on a committee and after one meeting, i approached a member with whom I disagreed and thanked him for providing alternative view points; we arrived at a better solution because of it.

Four months is a long time, and it would annoy me. On the other hand, since it is Stu, I know that he will make good one way or another.

Any 1000 grit stone would raise an eyebrow at turning a hollow ground bevel in a flat bevel. You can do it, but its like trying to remove a nick with a 4000 grit stone. A weird battle with time. A Norton fine Crystolon is a 45 micron stone while your sigma 1000 is going to be 16-14 microns. To put that in perspective; your Crystolon is somewhere in-between a 220 and 500 grit water stone (Norton or Shapton comes to mind) and around the same as a DMT coarse stone. The Crystolon is three times as coarse as your 1000 grit and much better suited to removing that amount of metal as you experienced yourself. If your 1000 grit water stone removes small nicks, wear from use and raises a burr in a timely fashion its done its job. This didn't have much or anything to do with A2 and more troublesome alloys. Nice looking plane.

Cheers,

Vincent
    Last edited by Vincent Tai; 04-10-2018 at 4:40 PM. Reason: I am inept and cant make reply with quotes work

Vincent; appreciate the advise. I have placed an order with Stu for Sigma #400.

Stewie;

Well my order from 22nd January showed up today unannounced ( no tracking email ),but extremely well packed .
    As Derek suggested Stu must have a bit of a back-log he's busy working through.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan Page View Post
    Well my order from 22nd January showed up today unannounced ( no tracking email ),but extremely well packed .
    As Derek suggested Stu must have a bit of a back-log he's busy working through.
    Rowan,

Good to hear,

ken

Stu is a treasure but does require understanding of how he works. Some of the things I appreciate in dealing with Stu is the advice he gives, the fact that most of the time he will try to find what you are looking for and most important I always feel the price is fair. In today's Amazon world some folks expect Amazon delivery from everyone they deal with. With Stu that ain't going to happen, put together your order, pay for it and forget about it until you have a pleasant Christmas in July surprise. If you need it quickly or want immediate satisfaction go to someone else and likely spend more money but save the irritation.

ken

Sounds like you ordered something he had on the shelf.. I ordered a plane with a HSS blade, a rabbet plane, and some other odds and ends. Nothing he would have on the shelf, I suspect. (The HSS-blade is for rough planing, herashi-kanna or maybeara-shiko, if the blade is up to the task.)

I have tried emailing Stu and have not heard back. I'm sure he's filling paid orders before checking email. Still, I took the suggestion and sent another short note. Just want to make sure everything is on the way, eventually. Like when your food hasn't come in a while and you wonder if there was problem and you wonder if the server remembered to key in your order... Yeah, it's not a matter of honesty---just timing.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted.

12. I am still waiting for an order placed in Dec. No ETA yet inspite of a couple of emails. My first experience has been pretty poor and unprofessional.

I think Stu's mom died late November, and he was deeply mourning.

Try contacting him again.

Part of my order was filled, along with a note from Stu. But it's been a year. Now I found out that he's basically shutting down the store. And in his note, he wrote

It has become increasingly obvious that the patience we ask for is often not satisfactory to many customers. (This last point especially is a significant reason for the decision behind this. A particularly impatient person decided to try and cause maximum strife without legitimate cause to do so. It was a time when I was at less than my best and caused me to make a decision I will regret for the rest of my life and irreparably harmed my ability to do ‘this’ in a way that it should be done.)
    Does anyone know what's going on? I'm hoping this thread isn't what he's talking about. I thought most people were supporting Stu. I realize that it's a bit ridiculous to assume yourself at the center of everything that happens in the world but I'm completely in the dark on this issue and have no idea what "maximum strife" means. Anyway, if you know anything about this incident, please post. Or if it's too personal, don't post. I don't mean to stir up anything. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on.

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...362aeeee8ee692

We had a thread on this.

It got locked over squabbles between those who think it is okay to be a part-timer and provide less than LV/LN levels of service, and those who think the instant you place an order you own the business. I don’t think anybody really has any more insight.