Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools From Japan

Tools From Japan

I have 500-600 $ worth of tools on order from Tools From Japan. Ordered in January. I understand, from the blog, that the proprietor has had some turbulence in his personal life as of late and I'm sympathetic. And I know that there can be some lead time on certain planes. However, I'm getting a little nervous. I don't know if it's just my order that's taking so long or if it's everyone. I'm tempted to send email but I suspect that it will not help me or anyone else. Has anyone heard from Stu? Has anyone ordered from him recently?

I havent done business with Stu myself, but Ive always had the impression from things Ive read here that he's an honest, reliable businessman.

FWIW.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Kevin

Stu is a stand up guy. The reason he has become the go-to guy for Japanese tools is because he has taken the time to offer superb customer service ... even before anyone has made a purchase. I understand that he is catching up after a period of dealing with a loss in his family. I would just tecommend being patient.

Regards from Auckland

Derek

I ordered a few things about two weeks ago, after the last thread on this topic. I got an email a couple days ago from Stu saying my items were shipped, and I was refunded about 7 dollars on my shipping cost. Supposed to arrive in a week or so.

edit: ordered 3/21. Shipped 4/4. Received email 4/5. Packages appear to have been in Osaka most recently.
    Last edited by john jesseph; 04-07-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Kevin,
    Sometimes the shipments do take some time to arrive but as others have stated, Stu is an honorable man, he will make good. So be patient.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Karst View Post
    Kevin,
    Sometimes the shipments do take some time to arrive but as others have stated, Stu is an honorable man, he will make good. So be patient.
    Randy
    It is very easy to say "Be patient" when your money is still in your wallet. In general, I really dislike the "you pay me now, I'll ship when I get to it" business model that some tool sellers utilize. If there's a long lead time, fine. Take a deposit on the order, and bill for the balance when the order is ready to ship. That would certainly eliminate the trepidation of a customer who sends 600 bucks to an international seller 4 months ago with no word on his order and is told to "Be patient". I would not be cool with this situation either. JMO, it's your money after all.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    It is very easy to say "Be patient" when your money is still in your wallet. In general, I really dislike the "you pay me now, I'll ship when I get to it" business model that some tool sellers utilize. If there's a long lead time, fine. Take a deposit on the order, and bill for the balance when the order is ready to ship. That would certainly eliminate the trepidation of a customer who sends 600 bucks to an international seller 4 months ago with no word on his order and is told to "Be patient". I would not be cool with this situation either. JMO, it's your money after all.
    Brian,

As has been stated Stu is a honorable man that makes good when there is a delay in shipment. His business model is one of the reasons he can hold prices down and at the same time provide personal service. It is also well known that at times shipments can be slow. If that bugs you the best answer for you and Stu is to take your business elsewhere.

ken

I don't mind the wait. I know to start with that if I want the same, or something similar, that I can pay more, and get it faster somewhere else. Since he doesn't stock a lot of the items he sells, he would end up keeping something that wasn't paid for to start with sometimes, and it would raise his operating costs, and our prices. I appreciate what he's doing, and wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Brian,

As has been stated Stu is a honorable man that makes good when there is a delay in shipment. His business model is one of the reasons he can hold prices down and at the same time provide personal service. It is also well known that at times shipments can be slow. If that bugs you the best answer for you and Stu is to take your business elsewhere.

ken
    And I do, Ken. I don’t have a personal gripe with anyone, just preferences for how I make purchases.

I simply find it laughable when someone who is out of pocket a good sum of money is told to be patient, and by a person with no skin in the game at that.

This is just my opinion. Unfortunately for you guys, I am entitled to one.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Only one person on the planet can tell you how much longer it's likely to be. Email Stu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Received my order from S
    Care to share details of time taken to fulfillment and of what was ordered?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Care to share details of time taken to fulfillment and of what was ordered?

jtk
    Apologies Jim for not finishing the post. I was in 2 minds on whether to continue with the post. The order received was Stu's recommended package of Ceramic stones. No problems with the time taken to receive the order. 14 days which is really excellent service.

The problem I encountered was using these new stones on an A2 steel The objective was to work the hollow ground bevel to a single flat bevel. A task that I have completed in the past with relative ease using a Norton Fine Grit Crystolon Oil Stone on the same iron in less than 10 min. The coarsest 1000 grit stone was by far the biggest disappointment. The following photo shows the incomplete flat bevel after spending a ridiculous 1 hr forming.

As you can appreciate, there has been a lot of recommendations put forward on this and other forum sites on the merits of using ceramic stones on harder alloy steels such as A2. By outlining my own contradictory experience so far it may in well and truly awaken a nest of angry bees. No prizes on guessing who the initial responses will come from. (p.s) I don't expect I will encounter any difficulties working more traditional type of steels on these ceramic stones.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 04-10-2018 at 6:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    By outlining my own contradictory experience so far it may in well and truly awaken a nest of angry bees. No prizes on guessing who the initial responses will come from. (p.s) I have not had the opportunity to trial these new ceramic stones on W1 and 01 steel.
    Here's a random thought: Why not reach out for help from people who have more experience with these things?

Newbies to *any* new tool or process (even ones who are highly accomplished overall) have newbie problems.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-10-2018 at 5:00 AM.

Hi Stewie,
    Being a noob to the world of planes and sharpening, is there any benefit to/reason for sharpening with the cap iron on?
    Cheers, Robbie.

is there any benefit to/reason for sharpening with the cap iron on?
    Robbie; none that I am aware of.