Thread: Is Reimage Repair safe or is it a scam

Blog Entries

Is Reimage Repair safe or is it a scam

The title says it all. My computer needs tuning up and I found Reimage. It says there are issues that need to be fixed.

I am hesitant to do it.

Odds are *very* good it would find issues with every computer it checks. For the most part these programs are junk, or worse, spyware.

Lowell, Im not an IT guy but I think that Reimage is adware. I would not use it. You vcan read about how to remove it at this link.

On the other hand, I just found this link that seems to say it's ok.

So I'll have to defer to my computer "betters". Sorry Sir.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-07-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I think I will have an tech come in and deal with it.

I used it, had some funny stuff going on, and it did help. I was quite impressed with it to be honest. However, after the fact I noticed it was always 'doing something'. Probably what it's supposed to do, check and scan in the background etc, but whenever anything additional is doing something, everything else starts slowing down. I probably could've just disabled it, but I un-installed it and cancelled any further services. It did what I wanted, it's doing nothing else now, so I figure it was worth it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Doesn’t your operating system come with utilities for “tuning” up your system?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The title says it all. My computer needs tuning up and I found Reimage. It says there are issues that need to be fixed.

I am hesitant to do it.
    If you have Window 10, you may prefer to look into this:
    "Repair Windows systems files

"You can slow down your own computer without even knowing it. If you do anything like forcing your computer to shut down, or just installing or uninstalling software, you can create errors in your Windows system files.

"The SFC /Scannow command will scan all your Windows files and replace and fix any problems.

"Note: This could take several minutes, so don't start this until you have spare time.

"Here's how: In Windows 10, type "command" into your Ask Me Anything taskbar. Click on Command Prompt, which will open a small black box on your screen. Type this exactly this way: sfc /scannow, with a space in between c and /. It will alert you if SFC /Scannow has fixed any problems. If so, restart your computer."

Since it's a built-in Win 10 utility program, it should be safe. I've run it and it does take a long time; on the order of 20 minutes on my little i5 laptop and found no problems to fix. I suspect it could be faster or slower depending on the individual machine and error "fix" time.

You may need to "right click" on the "Command Prompt" and select "run as administrator."
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Blog Entries
    Also in Win 7
    Just ran it on my Windows 7 machine - nothing found
    Howard Garner

Ccleaner from Piriform.com
    I use it to clean the registry and clean up old files. Works great.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

10. Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Ccleaner from Piriform.com
    I use it to clean the registry and clean up old files. Works great.
    +1; CCleaner (originally named "Crap Cleaner" in the old days) can clean up a LOT of issues and should be run once a week. It won't fix the Win problems that SFC /ScanNow addresses, but it does a bang up job of the things it covers. It's just good computer hygene, so basic that I take it for granted these days. I've been running it weekly since the mid-nineties. The ScanNow program is a one-time thing when a Windows system file goes south; fix once and done.

Edit: https://www.ccleaner.com/
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron