Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What determines a chisel's quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Price, specs and on the spot QA drives them, from what I understand.
    This is true regardless of country of origin. Mostly, price. After that then specs.. and in some rare instances QA, but the contracting company owns that too.. and that's generally driven by.. oh yea, price (to the contracting company).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Price, specs and on the spot QA drives them, from what I understand.
    Many years ago while working in a manufacturing job the parts buyer told me about to makers of a part we used.

One made parts to a specific standard and some would prove to be better going through QC/QA. Those would be upgraded. Those would often fail in our product.

Another maker made the same part to a higher standard and would down grade those with problems in QC/QA. These would usually have no problem working in our product.

Different makers and vendors have different philosophies when it comes to quality.

Here is a discussion of Aldi chisels > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?267763 < My evaluation of a set sent to me is on the second page, post #53.

My set of Buck Brothers chisels are my pride and joy. Are they the best chisels? Not really, they are decent chisels easy to sharpen and they cost me a lot lest than a set of new chisels of similar or better quality. They do get used for light chopping now and then. Mostly they are set up for paring when being too lazy to get up and grab one of my Witherby or other chisels which have been set up for chopping.

This is from the post on Aldi chisels linked above:

When a premium chisel is purchased the hoops and ferrules are likely of a more substantial material.
    The bevels are likely better balanced. (meaning the side bevels)
    The set up time will likely be considerably less.
    If the chisels are made for paring they will have lower, and equal, side lands.
    The metal and handles should be much better finished.
    The sizing will likely be closer to what the label indicates.
    Quality can be well finished or it can be good enough. Everyone has to determine where on the curve it is for themselves.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Permit me to digress...............

I bought a set of 4 Footprint chisels (1/4", 1/2", 3/4", 1") more than 20 years ago. I bought them on a whim based upon price alone. I have never been able to determine their hardness number although i would classify them to be "moderately" hard. These chisels are made of Sheffield steel (says the label) and I like them because they comfortably fit my hands and the 1/2" chisel is used for dovetails because the bevel is so small, probably by accident.. The Footprint chisels are no longer made. Does any one own a set and how would you rate their hardness? Thanks