Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shark CNC as a entry level tool?

The Shapeoko can cut steel --- Rich Cournoyer uses his on metals more than other materials and even made a watch case out of stainless 316 on his SO3 (see his Instagram or the post on the Carbide 3D community forums). You need coolant, and to replace the MDF wasteboard with an aluminum one, but with the right endmill, setup, and feeds and speeds it is surprisingly capable for cutting metals.

Winston Moy also cuts metals on his Shapeokos but generally sticks to aluminum and brass. Cutting ferrous metals, while certainly possible on these CNC machines, isn't generally considered "in their wheelhouse" from what I'm understanding. That said, I believe it would certainly be possible to do so on thinner stock if one was willing to get properly setup for cooling and considerations around what the coolant (often some kind of oil) and the metal chips bring to the party.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have cut aluminum & brass and tried cutting mild steel once. Unless you are taking very light cuts I consider ferrous metal cutting too abusive to the (expensive) machine.
    JMO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Thanks for the info, do you have an opinion on Carbide 3D and the machine is Shapeoko.

Thank you
    Tim, I got a Shapeoko XL a couple of weeks ago. The XXL was over kill for what I need it for, and frankly I don't have the shop space for a CNC to dominate it. I really couldn't be happier. I looked for a while at laser cutters, but in the end decided they were too high maintenance, and for a good one far to costly. In addition they cant do what a CNC can do.

I make guitars so I don't need a huge table. I looked at the X-Carve but in various Youtube videos the rails seemed flimsy compared to the Shapeoko, and the software only works with an internet connection.

My main concern was learning the software. I wanted to get started on something while learning. William basically created a file for me and walked me through it and got me up and running. I am considering taking some CNC courses next semester at the Community College of Santa Fe, and Mick Simon (here on the forum) teaches VCarve Pro and Aspire, so I figured I should invest in VCarve Pro so I bought that last week, only while downloading did I come to learn it is only for PC and I'm all Mac. So, I had to run out and buy a PC just to tun it on .... ha!

Gonna carve a sign today for my wife's shop, may the Gods be with me!

Michael,

Wish I had known you were going to get a PC. I run Aspire on my Macs using Parallels and Windows 10 that I got for a total of $39.95 with my educational discount from OnTheHub. Runs fine. BTW, students also get Office 360 free, 1/2 price Spotify, Amazon Prime, etc.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-29-2018 at 10:20 AM.

I also run Win10 under Parallels on my primary design computer. The only Windows only machine I own is the control PC for the CNC machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I also run Win10 under Parallels on my primary design computer. The only Windows only machine I own is the control PC for the CNC machine.
    I never owned a windows machine until last week .... ha! I do video editing with FCPX and audio recording with Reaper. The guy who developed Logic Pro was a client of mine in San Francisco studying at San Francisco State, he bought my 10th guitar or there abouts, he was just a kid and so was I. Last year he came by to have that same guitar refinished, probably 35 years old. Imagine my shock to learn he was the one who developed Logic Pro. He gave me a free copy of logic Pro.... but I digress.

It took me half an hour to find where I downloaded VCarve Pro to! Not only am I doing battle with Windows 10, but trying to learn VCarve Pro! So far two classes with Mick Simon and I know enough to be slightly dangerous. I haven't been this excited in years learning a new software. What's that saying ... build it, and they will come. I got the machine and they came. It's amazing my good luck having Mick here, as well as some of his students that offered help. looking forward to his class beginning next semester.

I have quite a few guitar making friends interested in seeing what I end up doing on the the CNC. I tell them I've made 975 guitars with a spokeshave and chisel, and I've paid my dues, and these guys better get on the CNC train as soon as possible. As Mick pointed out, just a few years ago CNC machines were beyond the reach of average people.

One guy wrote me asking, now that my guitars are "machine-built" will I charge less for them. O said all guitars are machine built, routers jigs, table saws, band saws power-fed drum sanders etc. Thought that was a silly question. I told him Im gonna charge more!

One good thing about a dedicated PC for Windows is I don't care about it getting covered in saw dust, I didn't like having my decked out MacBook Pro getting covered in sawdust and wood chips.
    Last edited by Michael Thames; 04-28-2018 at 12:55 PM.

I think there could ultimately be good reason for you to charge a little more with CNC in the production, Michael, and that's because there are going to be some things that will be a lot more consistent which will make your instruments more consistent and easier to setup for the best end result. And in no way does it take away from any craftsmanship, either, because that's still a factor of materials, voicing and experience. CNC is just a tool. You are still the designer and creator of the product.

I'm currently attending the Aspire Camp in Columbia SC and have enjoyed every minute. Even the presentations that are on things I will not likely do in my own work (whatever that turns out to be) have been enlightening. And the work that folks have brought along has been totally inspiring. It's just reinforced my decision to add CNC to my world and I know I'm going to love it.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 04-28-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...