Thread: First Peppermill

First Peppermill

Made my first peppermill from Stringy Bark Elm and I love it. There is room for improvements but overall I feel it came out quite well, at least my wife thinks so as she has grabbed it and claimed it mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!
    Don

Welcome to the creek, Jerry. Glad you found us. I see why the missus grabbed the mill. Nicely done!

Very nice work Jerry! What did you use as a finish? It looks great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Spray Deft 3 coats steel wool and another couple coats

Good work but why do I see only one brand of pepper mill that maintains the grind setting when it is refilled and why does that mill cost over $100. Seems like it would be easy enough to put in a side door and plug it with a cork. No need for the fancy loading chute on the prefex mills.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Good work but why do I see only one brand of pepper mill that maintains the grind setting when it is refilled and why does that mill cost over $100. Seems like it would be easy enough to put in a side door and plug it with a cork. No need for the fancy loading chute on the prefex mills.
    Bill D.
    I use the ceramic crush-grind mechanisms and have never noticed that after years of use here. The top pulls off for refilling without affecting the grind adjustment. On which grinder mechanisms have you see this problem?

JKJ

He is talking about the one that the op is using. You unthread the nut on top to remove the top part to refill. That nut also adjusts the grind so you need to readjust it every time you refill it. Bill search crush-grind mechanisms like John said the adjustment is made on the bottom where the grinder is. woodturnerscatalog.com has them for a decent price.

I imagine you'll be making more of those for family and friends when the word gets out.
    Tim