Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with Veritas/Lee Valley?

What's up with Veritas/Lee Valley?

I ordered a Veritas 5 1/2 plane back in February. Checked on the order a month or so later and noticed that the handle (tote?) was on back order. Checked a couple of weeks later, and found that the plane itself was on back order. Called customer service and c.s. told me that they would have everything by today. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Zero communication. I would have cancelled the order and bought a different make plane, but this is the one I want to try. Has anyone else had this experience with LV/V?

I was going to order some chisels and a block plane and they're all on backorder as well. There's a few things that show they aren't even available to backorder now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    I ordered a Veritas 5 1/2 plane back in February. Checked on the order a month or so later and noticed that the handle (tote?) was on back order. Checked a couple of weeks later, and found that the plane itself was on back order. Called customer service and c.s. told me that they would have everything by today. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Zero communication. I would have cancelled the order and bought a different make plane, but this is the one I want to try. Has anyone else had this experience with LV/V?
    I've always had good experiences with them. I heard they got caught out by the sudden CITES listing of Bubinga, though. That would explain the handle issue.

Lee Valley is a top notch company. So, rest assured you will be taken care of. I have been a customer for 15 years now and always great experience. I think I had one minor problem in all this time and they made sure I was happy with the outcome, which I was.

Definitely a great company, just odd that they are out of stock of so many products.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    Definitely a great company, just odd that they are out of stock of so many products.
    I think they were just catching up after the last free shipping special and now they have one again.

Did you call LV customer service? Everyone else is speculating. LV would know.

I went in to decide on a saw yesterday and found out it was totally out of stock until (at my local shop) April 24 or so.
    This morning I get an email they have a special credit back promotion if you buy from one of the stores, expiring April 22.
    Had to laugh. I'll rib them Monday.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Haugen View Post
    Did you call LV customer service? Everyone else is speculating. LV would know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Droege View Post
    Called customer service and c.s. told me that they would have everything by today. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. Zero communication.
    Yep, he did.

I did. They told me I wasn't the only one. Very nice. No explanation. I see from the other posts that they are a good outfit, and I'm excited to get my hands on the plane.

Top notch company and I've been ordering from them longer than I can remember (sorry to you Sens fans for what the Pens did to them last night). Products are very well thought out for ergonomics and use.

LV stands behind their products, with no hassle returns, plus if they discover some sort of flaw with their product WITHOUT the customer asking, they replace or otherwise, fix the issue (anyone here remember the minor marking issue on the saw file holder?).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Agree with Tony. Lotsa threads here praising LV - and for good reason.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi,

We’re currently experiencing a production issue with wood parts (ironically). Since we’ve brought all handles in-house, we’ve been challenged to catch up with orders, let alone get ahead. We have stopped actively marketing many of the products, and expect to have our act together soon. New equipment has been ordered/installed, and we are looking at a second shift to catch up. We have more than 1000 finished planes waiting for handles...

It has been a challenge to convert to a torrefied wood, and we did not anticipate how steep and how long the learning curve was.

Please accept my apologies for the delays - we have good people working hard to get out of a sticky situation.

Rob Lee
    Lee Valley and Veritas

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    We’re currently experiencing a production issue with wood parts (ironically). Since we’ve brought all handles in-house, we’ve been challenged to catch up with orders, let alone get ahead. We have stopped actively marketing many of the products, and expect to have our act together soon. New equipment has been ordered/installed, and we are looking at a second shift to catch up. We have more than 1000 finished planes waiting for handles...
    So it sounds like this was indeed a knock-on effect from the sudden CITES listing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi,

It has been a challenge to convert to a torrefied wood, and we did not anticipate how steep and how long the learning curve was.

Please accept my apologies for the delays - we have good people working hard to get out of a sticky situation.

Rob Lee
    Lee Valley and Veritas
    Very interesting. I'm guessing this has something to do with the stores selling lots of offcuts of torrefied maple in varying stages of handle manufacture?

Glad to hear you guys are climbing the curve. I quite like the new handles, both my #4 and #7 have them.