Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesquite Desk

Mesquite Desk

I had a set of book matched pieces of mesquite I started playing around with at Christmas (this is actually from the same log as the table I just finished). I figured I would make a desk. I didn't have much in mind so just winged it. The only things I knew I wanted was the front center panel of the desk to be removable/customizable.

I initially thought I would do raised panels, but didn't really feel like that worked too well with the idea, so I decided to veneer up a piece of mesquite in to 3/32" thick pieces, back it with some 1/4" ply and do the panels from that.

Resawing the veneers:

The desk mocked up without the front panel:

half blind dovetailed drawers.. because why not..

Hanging file folder drawer with lock. I didn't like how wide the drawers had to be to be symmetric and they took up too much space from the middle/knee room, so instead of drawer guides, I just did waxed runners and made the drawer run on those, that saved about 1" per side. Then I countersunk the aluminum bars in to the side of the file cabinet drawers, so that saved about another 1/2" per side and got me back to my preferred knee width in the middle.

The top: This is a quarter sawn grain, so has some neat curl and some slight Medullary Rays (similar to what you see a lot of in quarter sawn oak). I've never really seen the rays in mesquite, so that is a nice surprise in the character of the top.

The front:

I wanted something temporary for the front center panel so I just grabbed a cutoff from some lazy susans I did over christmas from an end grain cut of mesquite. It actually looks a lot better than just using some temporary scrap, and now I am afraid I won't want to change it. It gives a cool change in character and centers the front of the desk pretty well. I also mirrored all of the veneers on the panels on each side of the desk and picked two for the front that raise up towards the middle with the crack in them. I like how the shape/character naturally raises the eye to the center/front of the desk and the top.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Fantastic look! I like it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Spectacular figure and grain selection, gorgeous finish, ... really really nice work.

Wildly exuberant, it might pace around the room at night! My favorite photo is that literal and figurative over the top
    elevator door looking top.

Beautiful work.

All I can say is "WOW"! Very well executed. Beautiful piece. I love all of it but your thought process on the front caught my eye, literally.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Gorgeous! I love the way you made the top, both the grain match and the live edge.
    Congratulations on a big success!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Don't even think about changing that center panel! What an incredibly beautiful piece. Your use of material and design is masterful.

I love mesquite. It's like my youngest grandson--unruly.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-06-2018 at 7:14 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Wow. That is eye poping. I love the figure and the way you did the file drawer. Very nice work.
    Charlie Jones

Superb in all respects. Very creative. Especially love the front.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Beautifully done! I really like that center panel.
    --Mike Roberts

Wow...that is...STUNNING! I'm in awe...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've already posted once but that piece just stays with you.

The wood is the star of the show but your use of it is nothing less than woodworking genius.

Would you consider trading that for my car?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

The bookmatch for the desk was actually only half of the total length of a bookmatch set. I used the other half to make a breakfast table that I actually think has a lot better character. This one is cool because I refer to it as the Rorschach table, because the lines on the top make people see different shapes/items.

A mesquite table:

The top is a bookmatched/quartersawn set of boards with some really cool curl/character. I've never really seen any curly mesquite before, so this piece is pretty slick.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I'm also doubling up...same comment on the table. Wow...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...