Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawstop dado conundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    Dado cartridge works fine with my Frued dado on my PCS, but if you do buy the 8 inch dado stack from Freud get the set without the anti-kick back wings as they will not interfere with a brake activation. I learned this after talking with the folks at Woodwerks in Columbus, Ohio. Apparently they prevent the brake from digging into the dado if the brake is activated.
    Yeah I bought a Freud Super Dado without realizing.

The brake will still work but it may not stop as quickly.

I've asked SawStop last night about those chip limiting blades as the manuals don't say anything about not using them. At least I can't find it. If they say it's not approved I'm going to find out what the saw sharpening company here will charge to grind them off. To much and I'll sell it and get another and if reasonable off they come.

I understand how the "shoulder", also referred to as anti-kickback or chip limiters or whatever, would not engage the brake as well as a regular saw tooth. But how is it that they limit kickback?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I understand how the "shoulder", also referred to as anti-kickback or chip limiters or whatever, would not engage the brake as well as a regular saw tooth. But how is it that they limit kickback?
    They keep the teeth from taking a really big bite at once. They can only take as much as the kickback limiters will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Except for when they are 5/8"
    Which 10" dado stack has 5/8 arbor hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

I got curious...a quick search turned up this one...

Amana Tool 651030 Carbide Tipped Dado 10 Inch D x 24T ATB/FT 10 Deg, 5/8 Bore, Dado Set
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    This one did but unfortunately I think the company is no more.

IMG_3648.jpg

Forrest sells one in a 10" for w 5/8" arbor. I'm guessing many do.

Also sympathetic. I purchased a zero clearance dado insert with my saw but not the dado brake. I told the owner of the tool shop that I didn't do many dado cuts and wasn't worried about the safety feature of the brake for dado's. I was then surprised when I discovered I could not use the dado w/o the brake and a little upset at the dealer for not telling me. If I give sawstop $100 for the brake I can make the decision on when I want it active and when I don't. If I don't give sawstop $100 I am not allowed to make the same decision. Doesn't make sense to me. Now I'm off to the store to spend another $100 for the brake.

Larry, while I'm not a SawStop owner, nor will I ever likely be on, what you describe as their expectation actually makes sense when you consider that they make and sell the machine with a focus on the flesh-sensing capability. While they do offer a way to disable the tech temporarily in certain situations to avoid mis-fires (what you would be taking advantage of with the installed dado cartridge but sensing disabled), insisting that an appropriate cartridge be installed during all use isn't unreasonable, IMHO. It avoids the "I didn't know it needed it..." product liability defense, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What is going to get you next is you need a zero clearance plate for every size dado you run unless you pick up something like the infinity tools plate with removable clearance blocks.

For this reason I have only used the sawstop to hit 3/4 undersized for BB and have been using router for 1/2 and 1/4. Anything else has been multiple router passes