Thread: Craftsman Band Saws - Belt Drive with no tilt head vs Drect drive with tilt head

Craftsman Band Saws - Belt Drive with no tilt head vs Drect drive with tilt head

I am looking at buying one of 2 Craftsman 12 inch Band Saws.

The first saw is a direct drive, 2 speed, 1 and 1/8 HP with a tilt head.
    The second is a belt driven saw with NO tilt head (but has a sander builtin). No horse power is listed but i did find one that "looks" just like it with a 1.2 HP motor. It does not indicate if its 1 or 2 speed.

Any insight you can provide or considerations would be appreciated. the belt drive unit is much closer to my home. But which is the better unit and why ? the prices are very close at about 100 dollars.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Seidman; 04-04-2018 at 5:44 PM.

I had access to one of the tilt-head Craftsman band saws years ago for awhile. That particular one was "hateful" and I avoided using it because it was just plain ill-behaved. For that reason, if it were me, I'd be choosing the "more traditional design" saw of the two you mention. Remember, complexity that's not executed well can be maddening.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes the 'tilt head' Craftsman saws were not well regarded for the most part. There are special use tilt head saws - Ship saws come to mind but they're certainly not common.

I don't object to Craftsman, but I very much regret getting a 12" (Hitachi) versus a 14".

Having owned a 12" Craftsman, unless it was FREE, I would pass on it. I couldn't give mine away. Watch CL for a used Delta or Grizzly 14". Here they run around $250.