Thread: minimum capacities for Delta 22-785X 15" planer

minimum capacities for Delta 22-785X 15" planer

I have some 3/8"+ thick, foot long boards I want to get to the same thickness. Both 12" long and 3/8" seem like around the minimums that this planer might do. Problem is there is no guidance in the operator manual nor can I find any on the internet anywhere. Anybody know what the minimum length is that should be run through this planer or the minimum thickness? Trying to be safe... Tx. Randy

12” is generally accepted as the minimum length IIRC. Technically depends on how far apart your indeed and outfeed rollers are. As long as the wood can touch both for an inch or two you should good.

I often used to plane small pieces in my lunchbox planer. I found that it worked better for me to put a planed board on the bottom and let the smaller piece to be planed slide across it, rather than trying to crank the head all the way down. Of course this throws off the depth gauge, but I don't use the gauge a lot anyway. This would help especially if your planer has rollers on the bottom.
    Zach

Well, I successfully planed about 16 ea 13" long pieces of board, about 3/8+ thick with a pass or two and brought them all down to the same thickness, to 3/8". No issues or drama. No sled use. After reading some other threads, thought I'd give it a try. Won't try any shorter or thinner though going forward, made notes to this effect... Thanks for comments. Randy