Thread: Bluegrass Tools

Blog Entries

Bluegrass Tools

I bet many of you do not know about Bluegrass tools. I have an 8 ounce and a 16 ounce Bluegrass hammer.
    My daddy had Bluegrass hammers and favored them. I also favor them. They are six sided wooden handles and
    the balance on them is great. I was cleaning mine and wonder if any of you have them. if you do, are they
    treasured tools in your shop?
    I just remembered I have posted about Bluegrass tools before. I tried to delete the thread, but I can't.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 04-04-2018 at 4:44 PM.

No worries here Lowell. For the really good things in life, every time you come across it, it feels like the first time.

I have an old Stanley screwdriver that belonged to my grandfather. Every time I use it I think of him and can’t help smiling.

In the town (barely a thousand residents) where I grew up (I'm 65 soon to be 66), there were 7 bars, 4 grocery stores and 2 hardwares. Before I was a teen, I had become fascinated with tools. The smaller hardware was a Belknap affiliated store (owner of the Blue Grass brand). The owner was a pain in the butt curmudgeon, but we became good friends. In those years, I really didn't have any spending money, but when I did buy stuff, if he had it, I got it there.

Greatest thrill was looking through his Belknap catalog-seemed 4 or 5 inches thick and had everything!

Tday, I have two NOS Blue Grass hammers-both claw types, one a 16 and the other smaller, maybe a 10 (can't remember here, away from my shop).
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

My favorite drawknife is a Bluegrass. Takes a nice edge and is a sentimental favorite.

Blog Entries
    How do you guys protect the edges on your drawknives? I'm wrapping mine with a cloth rag.

I need a length of clear plastic hose to slit and put the slit over the edge.

I use old water hose, little bit of oil on blade too, since they don't get used much now.

Blog Entries
    I went online and found 3/4" clear soft plastic tubing at Lowes, 10 minutes from my house.
    I am on my way to buy some.

Lee Valley used to sell leather covers with a snap closure, may still sell them.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Any good hardware store will be able to offer you tubing in a choice of materials, priced per foot.

If it's a flat draw knife, groove a piece of wood and tie it on:

sheath03.jpg

Blog Entries
    One of my drawknives has a slight curve. A slot in a long piece of wood works nice and the curve tends to hold it in place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Mine now has a piece of clear soft tubing protecting the edge.

Blog Entries
    One of my drawknives is a Bluegrass. I favor it. I also have a junker that came to me minus a handle. I made new handles for it.

The knife has tangs.