Thread: Carpentry Axe Carpentry

Carpentry Axe Carpentry

This project of puttin' in a new floor at the house and at this stage some of the sub-floor going down I use the carpentry axe to get the job done.Trimming 'n fittin' mostly.P4031393.jpgP4031394.jpgP4031386.jpgP4031383.jpgP4031392.jpg

Awesome, Earnest! The axe is the most underused tools in carpentry. It takes a bit of practice, but nothing else is quite as fast or accurate as a well-sharpened carving axe.

TedP

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    Awesome, Earnest! The axe is the most underused tools in carpentry. It takes a bit of practice, but nothing else is quite as fast or accurate as a well-sharpened carving axe.

TedP
    Please Ted, keep it under wraps before Lee Valley Nielson gets wind.
    I discovered the great potential and efficiency of using axes during a time living without access to even one machine and yet having a load of major renovation work on my workshop and house to get at and because as a rule I don't take dimensioned lumber. Sawing by hand being far too tiresome and time consuming I was almost forced into turning to the axes and since then it has been a question of never looking back.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-05-2018 at 7:39 AM.

Hi, after one too many incidents with an overzealous moderation and its censorship, I'm calling it quits here. Bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by ernest dubois View Post
    Hi, after one too many incidents with an overzealous moderation and its censorship, I'm calling it quits here. Bye bye.
    I don't think that a privately-funded website enforcing its own clearly-spelled-out policies can be reasonably described as "overzealous" or "censorship". Of course and as you say, you're free to vote with your feet regardless of how reasonable the rest of us think it is.

FWIW, the "central" alternative has both looser policies and a clientele that's more "old-school neander" (but also very much less active) than here. That one might be a good fit for you.

PS - LV knows about carving axes. LN used to carry Wetterlings but they are no more. Highland carries what is IMO the best of the current offerings. LV doesn't seem to have sorted out how to optimally shape the backs of their carving axes yet, but I imagine they'll figure it out before long.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 04-06-2018 at 2:55 AM.

I'll offer this as a cautionary tale.

For at least one other woodworking-related forum, it appears to me that the former proprietor's famously inconsistent moderation, overt favoritism, and lack of applicability of the forum rules to herself were essential ingredients in the secret sauce that made things work. After the forum changed hands, the new owner updated the software, reformed his policies to ensure a much more even-handed approach to moderation, and took a stab at ensuring a fully searchable archive...long overdue changes that the membership broadly applauded. Result? Over the next 24 months, the forum moved from what I would describe as robust health to something closer to end-of-life hospice care...there is still a pulse, but days go by without much conscious movement.

Be careful what you wish for. Sure - there are the mean girls's nasty remarks, the jocks monopolizing the best tables, and the for-crap 'food' offerings, but the alternative to eating in the cafeteria is eating alone or even worse, under the bleachers in the rain with the really weird kids.
    Last edited by Todd Stock; 04-06-2018 at 9:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    I'll offer this as a cautionary tale.

For at least one other woodworking-related forum, it appears to me that the former proprietor's famously inconsistent moderation, overt favoritism, and lack of applicability of the forum rules to herself were essential ingredients in the secret sauce that made things work. After the forum changed hands, the new owner updated the software, reformed his policies to ensure a much more even-handed approach to moderation, and took a stab at ensuring a fully searchable archive...long overdue changes that the membership broadly applauded. Results? Over the next 24 months, the forum moved from what I would describe as robust health to something closer to end-of-life hospice care...there is still a pulse, but days go by without new content.

Be careful what you wish for. Sure - there are the mean girls's nasty remarks, the jocks monopolizing the best tables, and the for-crap 'food' offerings, but the alternative to eating in the cafeteria is eating alone or even worse, under the bleachers in the rain with the really weird kids.
    Unfortunately Todd - I am seeing much the same in many other enthusiast forums... The one you reference is not alone - but that forum was headed downhill before the management change occurred... I wish I had more insight into the real causes... But I really don't....

On the subject of carpentry axes... This seems to be a lost art that is being re-discovered - perhaps like wooden planes... I think it's telling that Lee Valley has just released a new Veritas bench axe... They would not be selling them if they didn't believe there was soms market....

For me personally - Hachets are more of a tool for dealing with the projects that don't make the cut... .

I don't know what this is about and I really don't care about inside baseball of forum management. What I do care about is the exit of a valuable poster with a long standing history of public posting, here and elsewhere. Just remember the greatest writer in English had an ominous threatening name and delivered many barbs, pricks, shafts, thrusts and maybe a liver ended on the floor and to this day his works are studied like no other, so remember Will Shakespeare and allow writing to express, can it truly hurt.

Blog Entries
    Show off

People tend to leave this forum - especially Neander - for two reasons:

1. They don’t think we punish other members enough by permanently banning them or smacking their wrists More frequently of firmly.

2. They do not like that we don’t believe their experience and subject matter authority gives them the right to be disrespectful and derisive to other members.

You would be surprised how often the editing and over moderation and other decisions have a good majority of support among your fellow members.

All we are trying to do on this forum is keep it civil and full of content about wood working.

As a moderator we try to weigh how many members we will lose by excessive moderation vs those who don’t come here to hear your politics or personal feuds.

It is truly not any more complicated than this.

The Neander forum has a great reputation for content and a very poor reputation for its egos.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-06-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Thou dost protest too much..

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    I don't know what this is about and I really don't care about inside baseball of forum management. What I do care about is the exit of a valuable poster with a long standing history of public posting, here and elsewhere. Just remember the greatest writer in English had an ominous threatening name and delivered many barbs, pricks, shafts, thrusts and maybe a liver ended on the floor and to this day his works are studied like no other, so remember Will Shakespeare and allow writing to express, can it truly hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Phillips View Post
    Excellent. I use a hatchet often, both in the shop and around the farm on outbuildings and such - much quicker than some other methods when appropriate. I've also had the good fortune to score a very old broad axe head, a couple of froes, AND an excellent foot adze. The adze was being used as a lawn tool to chop weeds around a house. I love using the old tools (and seeing them used) - I split some hickory with the froe and used a restored draw knife to make a new handle for the adze. (I rough shaped the handle with the bandsaw though, maybe I shouldn't mention that here. ) Now I want to try my hand at shaping a beam from a log.

JKJ

Well said. I truly enjoy SC. Far as experience and knowledge go, I'm safe.