Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with router guide bushing unscrewing during use

problem with router guide bushing unscrewing during use

I'm asking because i've had this happen twice in 2 days and it's pissing me off.

Problem: I've had the guide bushing get loose during use...i'm routing out some deep mortises w/a 1/2" spiral upcutting bit.

I've tightened this down with pliers and it still came loose. I'm using a set sold my Milwaukee but do i just need a better set? Anyone else have this issue?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

Yeah, that's a problem. Here's one possible source... Maybe the nut isn't exactly the same threads-per-inch as the template. I have a box full of templates guides acquired over the years. Some nuts fit some guides better than others. In fact, for some combinations I can tighten the nut until it will not go any further, but the guide does not fully seat on to the router.

I have been aware of the potential problem because it is obvious that with my set I cannot get it tight with my fingers. Even using pliers on the upper ring, I don't seem to get it tight because the bottom guide piece tends to slip against the plastic sole plate. I solved the problem by drilling hole through the bottom guide piece adjacent to the raised bushing (being careful not to damage the bushing). When tightening the bushing, I then insert the "L" end of an allen key into the hole and use the other end as a lever to tighten the bushing. It seems that when doing it this way, the upper threaded ring seems to grip and not turn for some reason. Doing this, I can get the bushing quite tight and have no problem with it working loose. If the above is not clear, I'll try to get a picture later.

I don't know about your situation, but I know I need to very carefully clean off the router plate to make sure there is no dust under the bushing or nut. Some guys use a wrap of Teflon tape on the threads before installing the nut. I have not (yet) had to resort to that, but I don't use bushings a lot.

Scott

Bob, I feel your pain. I've had a few template bushings end up like yours. Teflon tape can help, but for me, the final solution was to get a quality set of brass bushings. The brass ones seems to hold tighter than the pot-metal ones. Good luck

Here is a picture of my solution mentioned above:

RtrGuideBush.jpg

Note allen key inserted for tightening. Flip it around for loosening if required. The second bushing to the side is just to show the hole size/location. I think the hole is about 1/8" or slightly larger.

There are some thin spring washers that will help. I have one I acquired some time ago at one of the WW Shows in Columbus. Where to get them I do not know.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I had often experienced this problem until I substituted the brass nut from another set to use with the steel bushings.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    I had used teflon tape in the past. Then I came across Peachtree item #2903 (that George describes) at a WW-ing show. I imagine you can find a spring-steel wave washer from another source if you wanted. Haven't had one loosen up since.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by William Young View Post
    Here is a picture of my solution mentioned above:

RtrGuideBush.jpg

Note allen key inserted for tightening. Flip it around for loosening if required. The second bushing to the side is just to show the hole size/location. I think the hole is about 1/8" or slightly larger.
    So William...did you do this just to hold the male part of the two parts still while you tightened down the nut -- i.e. that threaded insert doesn't go all the way thru, right?
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    So William...did you do this just to hold the male part of the two parts still while you tightened down the nut -- i.e. that threaded insert doesn't go all the way thru, right?
    Actually, I do just the reverse. I use the allen key as a handle to turn the male (lower) part. For some reason, the female part does not turn when I do this. If it did, it would be easy to hold it with pliers.

I'm not sure what you mean by: "that threaded insert doesn't go all the way thru, right? "

Peachtree Woodworking www.ptreeusa.com sells a pair of wave washers to keep your router bushings from loosening. I have a pair that I bought years ago and haven't had a problem with my router bushings since. https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_bushing.htm Look down the page. They are #2903. A pair of them is $5.99 plus shipping. They should last forever, if you don't loose them.

Charley

Teflon tape is excatly wrong for this use. You want something like locktite that increases friction so it does not unscrew.
    Bill D.

BD--you don't want Loctite, as this will make removal difficult.

The problem is due to vibration causing the loose-fitted threads (typical of router bushings) to unscrew. The solution is better fitting threads. The better-fitted brass nut I use came with a tiny inlay bushing/bit combo.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

+1 wave washers...I have one and works great.