Thread: Kitchen island saga

Kitchen island saga

So it sounded simple enough. An island with a butcher block top, 1 open shelf, and a skirt to hide the casters. First, find a top. Saw an add on CL and called and got a 2' x 7' maple top for 50 bucks. As I'm asking the guy who is selling it where I have to go to pick it up, he tells me the town I live in (900 people in the middle of nowhere Indiana), so I ask him the address, he tells me, and I look out the window and ask him if he's standing in his driveway, and he says yes, how did you know. I went and picked it up in my golf cart. So far so good. Found some boards that looked promising, cleaned them up, dressed 'em, made the legs, base and skirt, and dry fit them and called the boss for approval. Well, the skirt has got to go. "How am I going to lock the casters in place??" Locking casters - huh, that's new. So off comes the skirt.

Which led to this: a nice set of benchtop horses.
    20180403_131243.jpg

On with the build. Pretty un-eventful.
    20171219_171949.jpg 20171224_111206.jpg

In use for a few weeks and I get asked if a slide out garbage can will fit on the end of the island. Low and behold, I have a 1/4" to spare. Naturally, it needs to be enclosed.
    20180403_112108.jpg

Boy, I'm glad that's over with. I hate remodeling projects. But wait...........
    Since there's all that room on the other side of the can enclosure, can't there be another shelf there???

Why, of course there can.
    20180403_112135.jpg

Soooo, I think I'm done. Not sure, of course. All that's left is a piece of trim to hide the end grain of the plywood enclosure of the can. But i'm going to put that off until the LOML notice's, and asks for it. Then I can confirm I'm finished with the island. Maybe.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Bill, did you marry my wife's sister?? Sounds very familiar as I also have had to "adjust" things AFTER everything was agreed upon before the build

Nice job/recovery tho'.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

My wife is never completely sure what she wants (or doesn't want) until she actually sees it. Drawings don't make a difference. She needs to see it built and then decide what she wants changed/added/deleted. It made some early projects very interesting. I have learned to dry fit for approval and to do a full finish schedule on scrap pieces before doing anything permanent.

Scott

Bill, I had to "notch" the skirt on my mobile island to permit locking/full swivel do to a, um...design...feature that was not thought out very well.

Your island looks nice! Kewel story about the top, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I often act exasperated when my wife makes changes to my design. It's what we do. She pretends to hate asking and I pretend to hate doing.

sounds like you have a system that works - and that's all that matters.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.