Thread: Two color incised sign

Question Two color incised sign

I have an incised sign cut with a V gouge. If I were going to fill inside the letters and leave the background natural, it would be simple just fill the letters and sand down the spillover, but I want to do a fill color for the letters and a contrasting color for the background and I don't know how to do that. I looked at videos on youtube but the only thing I could find were small name tags done with a laser and they are too small for a sanding technique if that would even work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Paul

first apply your background color. then mask off surface with painter's tape, incise the lettering, and fill the letters. remove the tape and you're good to go. This assumes, of course, that the sign isn't cut yet. If it is already cut, i really don't have a good solution other than a very fine brush and a very steady hand.

Also, please note that I'm not a carver. I've made signs like you describe with a CNC router, so the tape trick worked well with a sharp bit. Not sure how well it would work with a gouge.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Not sure how well it would work with a gouge.
    Well It wouldn't be difficult to do a trial; just stick some painters tape on the would and start cutting! I saw a CnC video on face book they painted the background and applied varnish over it. They then wiped the over spill away with mineral spirits.

Well I did the trial and i guess my V tool is sharp enough to cut the tape and the wood. Should be; I hone after every letter. What do you think about the "varnish fill, then wipe off the excess? I generally print my pattern in reverse on a laser printer, then use acetone to transfer it to the wood. I don't think that would work transferring it to the tape instead. Might though.

Quote Originally Posted by paul handley View Post
    What do you think about the "varnish fill, then wipe off the excess?
    I guess that would work, I can just see it having the potential to be very messy. Also I wouldn't want to risk getting solvent down into the letters that I had just painted/filled. There's always the possibility of some bleed-out under the edges of the tape when you fill the letters, so you would still have to exercise a modicum of restraint with your paint (or whatever) and apply it carefully.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Well I guess I could stain it first with a heavy application of stain then sand lightly to get rid of the over flow. Or maybe a wash of Oil Paint in the color wanted maybe that would soak deep enough into the wood not to be removed. Maybe. I guess I need to stop typing and try ot out!
    Paul