Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to CNC Machines

New to CNC Machines

Gonna probably get a Shapeoko next week unless in my research I come across something better. The software seems a bit overwhelming to me, but, something I can learn but will take some time. My question is... are there guys who will draw up files of specific designs I need, so I can for the immediate future start using the machine, and making parts, avoiding the initial learning curve? Thanks!
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Michael, I think you'll enjoy adding CNC to your arsenal. I will tell you this, however, relative to your question: you will not be doing yourself any favors by avoiding the initial learning curve. Why? Even if you get some help or find some pre-made designs, you are going to have to make adjustments in order to leverage your specific machine effectively and correct errors, restart "in the middle" somewhere, etc. The complexity of what you want to design and cut is also going to determine what software you'll want/need to use. If I'm not mistaken, Shapeoko's base software is relatively easy to learn but I know from some of the videos I've been watching for my own training purposes, folks will sometimes embrace substantially more capable and flexible CAD/CAM software, such as Fusion 360 to get more complex designs and tool-paths created. There is a forum member here who's involved with the software that comes with Shapeoko, so hopefully he'll clarify it's capabilities further...and it looks like he's already commented.

BTW, your guitars are truly beautiful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome to the forum, Michael! I'll second everything Jim said but in addition to your guitars being beautiful they sound fantastic! Such a big sound out of a small guitar - wow. I like the way you extend the back over to the heel cap on some models. I started building acoustic guitars a couple of years ago but have yet to finish the first one - ugh! But I started the second one so I should get points for that...

Btw, I built my own CNC in late 2016 and use Fusion 360. It's not only free but it's a pretty powerful package.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    You can find folks to draw up files if you wish, or to do CAM, but we'd like to think the tutorials will let pretty much anyone use the machine.

There's a standing offer that if you get stuck on a file or project you can send it in to support@carbide3d.com and we'll do our best to help you with it --- sometimes we even work up custom step-by-step tutorials.

If you'd rather post a problem here, we'll gladly try to help you with it.
    Thanks William, I’ve looked a little at the tutorials and feel confidant I could start working fairly soon. I’m not a computer whiz, but I get around a little with audio recording and videos. Learning a whole new software is hard, but I’m very excited to try.

Thanks for the generiuos offer, I will likely be taking you up on it.

I’ll order a Shapeoko next week after Mercury goes direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Michael, I think you'll enjoy adding CNC to your arsenal. I will tell you this, however, relative to your question: you will not be doing yourself any favors by avoiding the initial learning curve. Why? Even if you get some help or find some pre-made designs, you are going to have to make adjustments in order to leverage your specific machine effectively and correct errors, restart "in the middle" somewhere, etc. The complexity of what you want to design and cut is also going to determine what software you'll want/need to use. If I'm not mistaken, Shapeoko's base software is relatively easy to learn but I know from some of the videos I've been watching for my own training purposes, folks will sometimes embrace substantially more capable and flexible CAD/CAM software, such as Fusion 360 to get more complex designs and tool-paths created. There is a forum member here who's involved with the software that comes with Shapeoko, so hopefully he'll clarify it's capabilities further...and it looks like he's already commented.

BTW, your guitars are truly beautiful.
    Thanks Jim, everyday I’m looking at more tutorials. I’m both excited and terrified ..... ha!

Thanks for the kind words about my guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Michael! I'll second everything Jim said but in addition to your guitars being beautiful they sound fantastic! Such a big sound out of a small guitar - wow. I like the way you extend the back over to the heel cap on some models. I started building acoustic guitars a couple of years ago but have yet to finish the first one - ugh! But I started the second one so I should get points for that...

Btw, I built my own CNC in late 2016 and use Fusion 360. It's not only free but it's a pretty powerful package.

David
    Thanks David, i’ll check out Fusion 360 and start getting familiar with it.

‘’Thanks ... Yea the sound is everything the rest is just icing on the cake..

Don’t feel bad a freind of mine, a physicist, took 4 years to make his guitar in my shop. He finished a second guitar much quicker. If I can help let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
    Thanks David, i’ll check out Fusion 360 and start getting familiar with it.

‘’Thanks ... Yea the sound is everything the rest is just icing on the cake..

Don’t feel bad a freind of mine, a physicist, took 4 years to make his guitar in my shop. He finished a second guitar much quicker. If I can help let me know.
    Fusion 360 is Not a beginners software its for people who need 3D modeling as 3D printing and machining in 3D. I do not have any idea of what software comes with your machine, but the default software for routers at least what I have found is in the VCarve lineup. You can download a trial version and well... try it and learn as you got. Not sure if you have any use for 3 D or not but just learn 2D or just plain drawing with CAD first. http://www.vectric.com/

But it looks likes your machine comes with basic software and they offer a online course.
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-04-2018 at 7:49 PM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Michael, what sort of parts and work do you hope to do with your cnc? What will your starting point be - hand sketches, jpegs, vector drawings....?

I'm a banjo maker, relatively new to cnc, and also no spring chicken. In my experience, it was quite a struggle up the software learning curve, but eventually rewarding. The routers themselves are just machines, with a bit more electronics than usual. Having seen the quality of your work, I'd think that you would want to master the software so you can make your parts exactly as you want them. I've never been 100% satisfied subbing any work out, altho I'm never 100% satisfied with my own work either.

Perhaps the solution would be to find someone who can come to your shop and train you on the machine and software, and walk you thru your first parts. You get parts, files, knowledge and experience. I wish that I'd done that, would have saved lots of time and frustration.

I'm using Adobe Illustrator for drawings, and Fusion 360 for CAD/CAM (because its free, powerful, and fully 3d). A lot of woodworkers I know use Rhino for CAD, and really like it, but it's expensive My machine is a tiny old Techno Davinci - very accurate and well built, but with a primitive controller that I had to replace with new drivers and Mach3, but that's another adventure that you will be wisely avoiding. So far I've used it for cutting and inlaying pearl, profiling fingerboards and cutting blind fret slots, really only 2-1/2D work.
    Last edited by richard newman; 04-05-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Michael,

Its rare but there have been a couple times I have needed assistance in the past creating tool paths for difficult projects that were beyond my expertise. I met Michael Mezalick several years ago and he is the guy I contact when I need help. He is a great guy and very talented. You can contact him here via Private Message.

Now that I see your new machine comes with design and CAD software start with it and the Online course they offer. Rhino is also not an easy program to learn. I started out with AutoCAD Version 9 in 1992 and self taught from a book. Start with the basics and do not worry about complex or 3D. What I use now is from Punch software ViaCAD 2D/3D (for my 3D printer) and its less than $150 or so and you own it but you need the basics first.
    Link for above, http://www.punchcad.com/
    Last edited by Bill George; 04-05-2018 at 2:22 PM.

Fusion 360 is not just for those wanting to do 3D machining. It handles simpler work very easily. In my humble opinion, the key to being successful with a CNC machine is mastery of the software. If I were starting from scratch these days I would start with F360 and make the investment in time to learn it. I can recommend videos by Lars Christensen on YouTube. He has well over 100 videos up. He works for AutoDesk and holds a weekly streaming video for absolute beginners. All for free.

That said, if my focus was going to be artistic types of things I would save up my nickels and dimes for Aspire. I also use Aspire. Keep in mind there is no "best" software. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I would not attempt to design a leaf in 3D using F360, but in Aspire, darn easy. But F360 has some design and machining capabilities that Aspire cannot match. One of those is "adaptive" machining. It is not a gimmick, adaptive machining has become pretty much du jour in modern cnc shops.

I used Fusion 360 for over two years. Its internet connected and so s l o w on a DSL line and ours is faster than some. The weekly updates and worst of all No, none, zero documentation. If you have a question go find a 10 minute video, instead of reference book where you can find the answer in less than a minute. Fusion is cheaper than Solidworks and easier, if you need 3D. VCarve Pro is what I use and I can design in that ViaCAD 2D/3D software and import as a STL if needed. Look at the software I referenced above, it does the same thing and you own it. Documentation in a PDF file, not a video.

I regularly use the Autodesk Fusion 360 community forum to ask questions on both CAD and CAM. It's not uncommon to get an answer in 10 minutes and since I usually upload the screencast video of what I'm trying to accomplish, the response is tailored to exactly my project at the time. I usually upload my file, as well, and someone on the forum will take the file, fix it, show me what they've done, and send it back. Not too bad at all for a free product!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

That's been my experience also with Fusion 360, great support from the community forum. I too am accustomed to having an instruction manual, but it hasn't been a problem for me. And I find Lars Christensen's videos very helpful. Best way is to watch on another computer or tablet while you mimic his moves on your main machine. It's a great way to learn.

While this thread seems to have gravitated toward a software discussion (and I admittedly helped with that), I suspect the OP will be well served by using the supplied application initially to start the learning process since there are new concepts and then choose what direction to go for his needs. The simpler application may be less overwhelming at first, especially for a hobby level machine. But that's just one dude's opinion who is also in the learning process...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...