Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small box for granddaughter

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The camera, iPhone or not, is not as important as the lighting and background. For small things I use a simple home-made photo "cube" and some people use pop up photo cube/tent like this: https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-2090-.../dp/B000UCEUQI

This is the one I made for almost nothing. The thin white cloth diffuses the light. I use a piece of mat board from the framing store bent into a curve at the back for a continuous background. The mat board is light or darker grey or tan depending on the look I want.

Attachment 383300

I made this from PVC pipe and fittings so it comes apart easily. the side panels are glued up PVC and have the cloth held on with safety pins. The cross pieces are removable. I sit it on my table saw in the shop or on the table in the house.

Two lights, one on either side, sometimes a small light at the from for a highlight. To prevent conflicting color temperatures turn off all other lights in the room and shade the windows. Once the lighting is good the little point and shoot snapshot camera works fine as does the phone. I usually use it with a Canon DSLR which is easier to control. Always use a tripod if possible. For long shutter speeds to prevent camera shake it's best to use a shutter release cable or the self-timer.

Some example photos:

Attachment 383302 Attachment 383303 Attachment 383304 Attachment 383305

JKJ
    Thanks. I will use your advice on the next project.
    Charlie Jones

Charles, you can build a small light-box setup like John illustrates for photographic small projects or even purchase one ready-made from B&H Photo, Amazon and other vendors. Either way, this can REALLY kick things up a notch when photographing projects like this. It's pretty much a requirement if you ever intend to market/sell crafts for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work Charlie.

I looked at the images first and thought that you had a new granddaughter. That "EST 2018" threw me until I read your post.

I would love to do something for my future grandkids.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Love making stuff for my daughters. I don't have any grand children as of yet. But I have recently been pondering the idea of doing boxes, just to do this. Make small, memorable items that are linked to lifelong memories.