Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25% Increase of Tariffs on Chinese Lasers?

I'll let you all know in a few weeks. My Ray Fine was going for final customs clearance today and should be on a boat shortly.

Grrr...
    RayFine Fiber Laser (JPT M6+, Sino Galvo head)
    RayFine RF-1390 100w EFR
    Blast Cabinet, Vinyl Cutter, Sublimation Equipment, CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Watkins View Post
    I'll let you all know in a few weeks. My Ray Fine was going for final customs clearance today and should be on a boat shortly.

Grrr...
    I find it interesting that some of those who commented about the tariff being nothing, already owned Chinese fiber lasers.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Not me, I think it's * ridiculous to pay $5000 for a $4000 machine. Whether I'm any good at this business or not doesn't matter. To make that $1000 back will require either (a) more of my TIME that I'd rather spend doing something else, or (b) passing the cost onto my customers to let THEM pay for it. Either option helps no one, certainly not me.

Thankfully I don't need any more machines, and even if I do, I'm more than happy buying used equipment (only 5 engraving machines in my signature were bought new)...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Maybe you’ve been buying a $8,000 machine for $4,000
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Watkins View Post

Grrr...
    Thanks Jeff.

So far I haven't seen any duty increases for the machines we distribute. We just received 3 new systems but no increase in duty charges. Tarrif 2016.PNGTarrif 2018.PNG
    I see "the additional duties set out in Annex A to this notice are effective withrespect to products that are entered for consumption, or withdrawn from warehouse forconsumption, on or after July 6, 2018". I can only assume our clearing date actually happened before this date. Clearly our next order should reflect an additional 25% tariff. We'll see what happens?
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-11-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    These things are passing through US Customs at the port of embarkation first and if that occurred prior to July 6th, I'd expect no additional duty. Anything that leaves China after the 6th would be hit.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Just a quick update and side effect of the tariffs. My laser was supposed to have been in a boat almost two weeks ago yet this is the latest message from RayFine, "The machine is still in the customs, I have urged the freight forwarder many times every day, I will let you know if any updates."

I was told last week that due to the China and US tariffs that everything was being more closely inspected. I'm not sure why China Customs is doing more inspections since it's the US that is imposing the tariffs.

Anyone care to chime in on have more information?

I just sent a check to Rabbit Lasers and they honored the quote I rec'd in March. Hope to see them in the next few weeks when new building is ready I moved in late October last year so was stuck inside ALL winter. What a bummer but this year will be better thank goodness!

10. I can confirm the tariff and the pain it brings. My $7,330 30W fiber laser package was $1,120 to ship via DHL. It arrived August 3rd and is still sitting in customs. It just went through review with FDA. I get to pay an additional $2,206.01 now in duties.

For reference, a $5,000 30W fiber laser I had shipped earlier this year had duties of $237.

Blog Entries
    OUCH! Oh well!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have a 30w fiber that is scheduled to be in the US on the 31st. I'm not looking forward to the duties bill :-(
    Universal 60w VLS6.60 w/ rotary
    RayFine 30w MOPA
    Corel X8, Photoshop

Fab shop with South Bend Heavy 10, Bridgeport 9x42, 185a welder and a multitude of supporting tools/equipment

I know it's for informational purposes, but I have a hard time feeling too bad about it. I had a part I needed to get into China for repair under warranty. It was being sent as a repair. I wasn't selling anything. I was supplying a product I had already paid for and having it repaired at no cost and returned. I paid $450 to ship it one way, I put $2,000 on the shipping value in case in disappeared off the planet (that's the most DHL will let you file for), and when it got there, they told me we owed $800 in duties. I tried to explain it was valued to cover a loss if it was lost in shipping and I wasn't selling anything. Nope, not having any of that. Pay the $800 or have it returned. So $450 each way in shipping and they wanted $800 in duties to get it in the country.

$800 duties on a $2,000 value? That's pretty steep going that direction. I think we're getting off easy, even with the duties in place now.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I know it's for informational purposes, but I have a hard time feeling too bad about it. I had a part I needed to get into China for repair under warranty. It was being sent as a repair. I wasn't selling anything. I was supplying a product I had already paid for and having it repaired at no cost and returned. I paid $450 to ship it one way, I put $2,000 on the shipping value in case in disappeared off the planet (that's the most DHL will let you file for), and when it got there, they told me we owed $800 in duties. I tried to explain it was valued to cover a loss if it was lost in shipping and I wasn't selling anything. Nope, not having any of that. Pay the $800 or have it returned. So $450 each way in shipping and they wanted $800 in duties to get it in the country.

$800 duties on a $2,000 value? That's pretty steep going that direction. I think we're getting off easy, even with the duties in place now.
    Duty is calculated on the declared value + shipping, I believe. The importer pays the tariff, not the exporter. With the tariffs increased to 25% in addition to retaliatory Chinese tariffs, it's likely a substantial increase to what you describe as an already steep cost. I don't know that I would agree that anyone is getting off easy.

Has anyone noticed increased prices for engraving supplies from awards/engraving suppliers? Most, if not all of those are imported from China as well.

This is a general comment, not a reply to any one specific comment in this thread, but it amazes me how many people believe the tariffs assessed on Chinese goods are to be paid by the Chinese.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment