Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis & Wells 20” Bandsaw...Now Mine!

Davis & Wells 20” Bandsaw...Now Mine!

Hi Guys

My turn to make a happy report.

For about a month I had been watching this band saw on craigslist but the price was a bit higher than I wanted to pay, even though I thought it might be fair. By chance I happened to check on Saturday and saw that the price was reduced significantly and in the ballpark of what I thought I could pay.

I called the seller and ended up going over Sunday to check it out and he agreed to sell it to me for $900. I think this is a very favorable price but it was also the price that I thought I could afford when I saw it listed initially. It came with a like new fence sold by woodcraft for $149, and a custom-made mobile base that works pretty well and only holds the saw about an inch higher than if it were sitting on the floor. Plus a bonus of 36 spare blades that look to be in either new or very good condition. And six other blades that seem to be the size that will fit my smaller 18 inch Grizzly light duty saw that I bought about 30 years ago.

FD9041D9-8D5B-455E-9FFA-6AC8DB8AD755.jpegF71F7DD1-36E1-49E6-AC74-36625D2B0789.jpegA19A4DFD-B09B-4053-BEF5-923A6FA80E5E.jpegD02069DE-287B-4B00-8D50-598DFB6F37A4.jpeg

It has a 3 hp motor and about 13 inches resaw capacity.

My ears are limiting my smile

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 04-03-2018 at 4:57 PM. Reason: Typo correction
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You lucky man! A friend of mine has one, and those are very solid vintage saws. Yours looks to be very clean and well cared for. My friend runs a Woodmaster CT carbide blade on his and saws veneer effortlessly. Nice find!

Edwin

That's a neat looking bandsaw! Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That is a very fine vintage machine. On many of that model, the doors were broken and brazed together. You have a very nice machine there, and it will saw circles around your "other" saw.

Congratulations.
    Jeff

Nice band saw Bill! Something to be said for patience and you have the proof both in your shop and your wallet.

Congrats on a great find.

I think I live in the Bermuda Triangle of Craigslist. I never seem to find much of anything on it and I check for table saws, band saws and planers and joiners at least every 3 or 4 days. Maybe someday.

I have a few friends who live in Florida who feel the same way about finding vintage iron. They say they can never find it, and are always pissed at me, as I've got a full shop, plus a two outbuildings filled with machines awaiting restoration. The midwest is the iron belt for old machines.
    Jeff

Great to get a machine you really like. I love the look of them.

I've considered looking for a 20" Davis and Wells bandsaw, but I have never worked on one.
    Are they a better machine than a say a typical high-end 1980's Italian bandsaw?
    Or is it the beauty that elevates it above modern machines?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Great to get a machine you really like. I love the look of them.

I've considered looking for a 20" Davis and Wells bandsaw, but I have never worked on one.
    Are they a better machine than a say a typical high-end 1980's Italian bandsaw?
    Or is it the beauty that elevates it above modern machines?
    Mark,
    "Better" is a difficult word. Having worked on both machines you reference, I'd say they're just different in the way a vintage Harley Davidson hog is different from a Ducati Streetfighter if that comparison makes any sense.

One big difference is the sheer mass of the cast iron in a Davis & Wells or other vintage American bandsaw dampens the vibration and makes the sawing a very different experience. I would never go so far as to say you can do a certain kind of work with one and not the other, whether it be resawing or contour cutting. If you're into music, imagine two sets of speakers, where one has a deeper, richer sound, compared to the other where the crisp highs shine a little more.
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-04-2018 at 10:50 AM.

I was at Davis and wells couple years ago.Dan had a 20 inch bandsaw in plain view he had just finished restoring.
    He ran it for me it was much quieter then my Aggazani and mayb slightly smoother.
    He pointed out the the upper wheels shaft runs through the frame and wheel a very stout design feature.
    On my saw and most Euro saws the small stub shaft just hangs up there with the wheel on it. That's not as ridged.
    I have a Davis and Wells table saw so far it's the best tablesaw I've owned. It's at least 50 + old.
    So go D&W kicking ass in the future with their woodworking machines!
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    I have a few friends who live in Florida who feel the same way about finding vintage iron. They say they can never find it, and are always pissed at me, as I've got a full shop, plus a two outbuildings filled with machines awaiting restoration. The midwest is the iron belt for old machines.
    I wonder if thats because people up north sell off their vintage stuff before retiring to Florida and buying new stuff leaving us with a shortage of vintage iron.

Neat looking machine. I noticed in the last picture the bearing block that hold the lower wheel and drive pull is only held with 2 bolts and there are 4 more holes. Is that normal or has there been a workaround for a problem in the past? Stripped threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Neat looking machine. I noticed in the last picture the bearing block that hold the lower wheel and drive pull is only held with 2 bolts and there are 4 more holes. Is that normal or has there been a workaround for a problem in the past? Stripped threads?
    I believe the other 4 holes are to run bolts into and press against bosses in frame to adjust lower wheel position.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    I wonder if thats because people up north sell off their vintage stuff before retiring to Florida and buying new stuff leaving us with a shortage of vintage iron.
    I think it has more to do with the fact that most of the foundries where the old machines were made were in the upper midwest. From Illinois and Wisconsin, to Ohio and, of course, New England, many many manufacturers along the Great Lakes region. Iron ore was supplied by boat then.

Lots of opportunities in Georgia and South Carolina for you, though. You'll have to do some driving. I've driven 1600 miles to pick up a machine, so no stranger to having to go haul one. My 16" jointer was in Philadelphia, so 805 miles each way.
    Jeff

Nice! but if you plan to tow it you might want a better hitch.