Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Davis & Wells 20” Bandsaw...Now Mine!

Now that's a tension spring!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I believe the other 4 holes are to run bolts into and press against bosses in frame to adjust lower wheel position.
    I'm not so sure only because the cast mounting pads are not aligned with the bearing block assembly. Bill is in a better position to look and say for sure.

I bet the original set up was different then what the op has. Motor on the back. For metal saw and the wood bandsaws I've seen motors on the back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

I've been watching that one too! Actually went to look for it and...poof! It's gone. Nice old arn there for sure.

Did you get to look at the jet mortiser he's selling by chance? Been thinking about pulling the trigger but, like everything else, the price

Any how sweet saw and glad someone is enjoying it!

Thanks Edwin, and Andrew, now I want to get up close and personal with a W&D bandsaw even more!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Neat looking machine. I noticed in the last picture the bearing block that hold the lower wheel and drive pull is only held with 2 bolts and there are 4 more holes. Is that normal or has there been a workaround for a problem in the past? Stripped threads?
    I think it is as described by Darcy. It looks origin to my eye, and substantial.

I will know more in the future as I think need to make an adjustment somehow to move the lower wheel in towards the frame about 1/4” for the purpose of making the wheels coplaner. Also the angle of the lower wheel may need to be changed slightly. I say this because to get the wheels coplaner I had to shift the top wheel out about 1/4” on its shaft. But the tracking adjustment ended up close to one end of its travel.

Don’t think I will get much done until late next month as we are visiting my wife’s hometown in sushiland for a month and leaving next week.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Nice! but if you plan to tow it you might want a better hitch.

No doubt about that!

It actually came with a bar with wheels on it, that hooks into that eyebolt and lifts the front of the custom made stand for mobility. Will post a picture later.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I'm not so sure only because the cast mounting pads are not aligned with the bearing block assembly. Bill is in a better position to look and say for sure.
    I will be sure to post some pictures once I take things apart. This area was apart recently (I think) because the bolts holding things together seem new and not original.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I bet the original set up was different then what the op has. Motor on the back. For metal saw and the wood bandsaws I've seen motors on the back.
    I am sure the motor set up is not original. The motor is mounted to the fabricated mobile base. The motor is 3 HP made by Ajax if I remember correctly. The motor/pulley combination calculates out to a blade speed or approximately 4600 FPM.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gavin View Post
    I've been watching that one too! Actually went to look for it and...poof! It's gone. Nice old arn there for sure.

Did you get to look at the jet mortiser he's selling by chance? Been thinking about pulling the trigger but, like everything else, the price

Any how sweet saw and glad someone is enjoying it!
    The seller was a nice guy and had some interesting stuff, including a huge mortiser he showed me, and he may have mentioned the Jet in passing but not that it was for sale, don’t remember. He had a 36” bandsaw in pieces that he just bought, which was the reason for selling the 20”.

I know the feeling related to disappearing Craig’s list adds for sure. Glad for me I was the reason this add vaporized.

Bill

Crowning Tires

One other thing I know I need to do is crown the tires. They are relatively new, and appear to be the blue ones sold by Carter.

OWWM has a number threads showing how people have Crowned bandsaw tires themselves. Has anyone here crowned their own tires?

The tires on the saw are currently flat. The tracking (as bought) was in the center on the top wheel and well to the frame side on the bottom wheel.

The bottom blade guide guide has a spacer added to shift its position outward maybe 3/8 inch, another indication (in my mind) that the bottom wheel may need shifted a quarter inch or so towards the frame.

I want to take the time to make this saw as perfect as possible. It really is a nice piece of old iron. It is my first old piece of woodworking equipment, although I do have several old iron metal working machines (That I rarely use, seeming to favor the wood shop these days).

Bill