Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Editing your post processor

Gary, thank you, I had no idea that we could monitor the inputs and act on them...I'm going to ask which inputs are available. I'm not too proud to say I’m still learning and appreciate the feedback.

James...
    We all are. In this day and age, something new pops up most everyday in the CNC world.

On the typical ATC machine I use between 16 and 18 inputs to monitor the system components. It just about fills up the WinCNC CN1-2 IO board. Its a bit more work, but in the long run monitoring those signals that output discrete messages about system function is a time saver. Here's an example of a small format 3 axis ATC control.

ATC Control.jpg
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Hi Gary,

Well, wether "All the F's and G's have them" isn't quite accurate, search M-codes on the net and you'll find they vary for different brands of controllers. M17 on a Fadal is subroutine return (which is M99 on just about everything else).

Mach 4 doesn't even list an M17, Centroid doesn't list it either... so while there may be specific m-codes that will work in every controller, they most likely might be optional codes, hidden into the PLC ladder, or just plain old not accessible by the average user.

G-code is a language, but every language has "dialects", variations that won't be understood from one control to another. That's why you have to have a post processor for just about every variation of a machine control that's out there, they all deal differently with G and M codes.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Brian...
    I was not saying that all controllers have an "M17". I was saying that all controllers have some command that checks the status of an input. All programmers that write these controls take some liberties based on what their needs are. In some cases they are very similar, in others not at all. There are especially large differences between the lathe, mill and router segments. The more I get into the Centroid control, the more the differences show up.

For Mark, as he has WinCNC control. Here is a version of the "M3" macro that does some "checking"

[GC Spindle On
    G90
    L20
    G53 Z0
    M12 C2 [Make sure Drawbar is closed
    M18 C23 [Make Sure Tool Rack is Back
    M11 C7 [Turn On Case Pressure
    M18 C4 [ Pause for drawbar to close
    M11 C1 [Toggle Spindle FWD output On
    M18 C7 [Wait for up to Speed
    M11 C3 [Dustfoot Down
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Well, you still have to know where to go looking for those m-codes that "check"... you won't find them in the "programming manuals" for the operating software, and they can be darn hard to find even when you have all the maintenance manuals and ladders associated with the specific machine. That's one of the reasons there are so many CNC machines out there waiting for retrofits... somebody let the batteries die and the ladder diagrams have been lost. The control builder doesn't do the ladders, the machine builder does, and if they don't have the files because of age or not even being in business any longer, you can literally be up the creek without a paddle.
    Brian Lamb

Brian...
    They are in bold type, alphabetically listed in the WinCNC manual. That said, you cant do a search by function, so you need to pay attention.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Just went and looked, not at all familiar with the WinCNC software, not one you'd run across in the industrial metal working machine field. Looks like potent software if you understand it and have experience with it.

Getting back to the OP's original question though, as an "operator" more so than a machine builder, changing the post would probably be the easiest way to approach the result he was looking for. Or he has to ask someone familiar enough with the software to devise a way to figure out of the VFD is up to speed and get that input back into his software... not sure I'd want to delve into that without some experienced help.
    Brian Lamb

Thanks for all the input guys. The more I read this the more I realize I need to read more lol. I have been fine with simple changes and as stated, dial rapids back, have the e stop close by. Ill keep you all posted