Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Generational Misunderstandings about Tattoos

Generational Misunderstandings about Tattoos

I comb through this forum quite often. Often enough that I've seen every page. Recently I came across a thread from 2017 about "things that make you go hmmmm".. or maybe it was huuuuu.. Anyway, point is, I noticed a failry strong distaste for tattoos that many of you seem to have, but specifies military tattoos were deemed acceptable. I'm curious as to why? I'm more than willing to argue all day and night about all the misinformation out there regarding tattoos, but for now, I'd love to hear from the older generation about why they feel the way they feel about them. I'm sure there are exceptions here, some may think they're great, or even have some, but it does appear that most of the older generation does not agree with them. I just want to find out why, if you have the time. I'd love to offer my views reflecting your opinions. Lets keep it classy eh? We're all adults here.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

I just don't like the look of a heavily tattooed person, male or female. Many times, it's obvious that the person doesn't have a lot of money and I wonder why they wasted so much money on those tattoos.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Many times, it's obvious that the person doesn't have a lot of money and I wonder why they wasted so much money on those tattoos.

Mike

Totally get not liking the look, but is there a particular reason? Honestly just curious. I love picking people brains. Especially people older than myself (22). It fascinates me.
    How is it obvious they don't have a lot of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Totally get not liking the look, but is there a particular reason? Honestly just curious. I love picking people brains. Especially people older than myself (22). It fascinates me.
    How is it obvious they don't have a lot of money?
    Certainly, it's a guess about whether someone you see is wealthy or in poverty. But if they project as being in poverty in their clothes, cleanliness, manners, actions, etc. you tend to assume they're not wealthy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Certainly, it's a guess about whether someone you see is wealthy or in poverty. But if they project as being in poverty in their clothes, cleanliness, manners, actions, etc. you tend to assume they're not wealthy.

Mike

Very reasonable point. Thank you for your input.
    I do have to add, even though I have quite a few tattoos all over the place, I don't understand why someone would pay for shotty work, especially when they cant afford it. Lord knows I'd love to get more, already have my next few planned, but will not get any until the money is saved, plus a generous tip. No sense in possibly putting yourself on a budget constraint or possibly not being able to pay a bill for a tattoo.

Tats, to me, is a kind of sub culture emblem that denotes a kinship, a conversation starter or identifier OR NOT. I'm 68 and an untouched pale white canvas. Just get to know the tatted ones and solutions will emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Very reasonable point. Thank you for your input.
    I do have to add, even though I have quite a few tattoos all over the place, I don't understand why someone would pay for shotty work, especially when they cant afford it. Lord knows I'd love to get more, already have my next few planned, but will not get any until the money is saved, plus a generous tip. No sense in possibly putting yourself on a budget constraint or possibly not being able to pay a bill for a tattoo.
    I would have no clue whether the work was good or terrible. But from being friends with ex-military people who have tattoos, I know that the colors tend to fade and all that's left is the black - because the black doesn't fade.

But let me turn it around and ask you, "Why do you want tattoos?" Is it a statement of some kind? Or a tribe thing? Or what?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    Tats, to me, is a kind of sub culture emblem that denotes a kinship, a conversation starter or identifier OR NOT. I'm 68 and an untouched pale white canvas. Just get to know the tatted ones and solutions will emerge.

Thank you. That is the number one thing I preach when someone makes snarky comments about me being tattooed. Don't understand something? Ask. I speak for a lot of tattooed folks that love it when people ask us what/if the tattoo means anything. Personally, each one has a specific meaning, or story behind it. And that's how it will stay.

Chase, some of this is likely due to the changing perception of body art in general over time. "Back in the day", tattoos were more common with some demographics and totally absent from most others. It's a lot more mainstream today. I personally don't have any tattoos and honestly, there was a time when seeing someone with obvious art raised certain concerns that I would shamefully say are discriminatory by current societal standards. I left those thoughts behind decades ago, however. At this point, I don't even bat an eyelash and even enjoy seeing some of the amazing, tasteful work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't really care much one way or the other about other people's tattoos. Though some look great and other people sometime have a trashy hodge podge of random stuff.

I don't want one personally as I don't want anything on my body that I can't easily change or discard. I change clothes, underwear and socks etc on a regular basis. Why would I want to be stuck with a tattoo for the rest of my life?

Also some of my past occupations identifying marks could get you recognized and killed. So even in my military days I avoided tats.

Both of my daughter's have tattoos. One wanted to get sister tattoos; some saying that she liked that would start on her back and finish on her sister's back. Seemed stupid to me unless they always stood next to each other in the correct order.

I'm curious as to why you used the terms "misunderstandings" and "misinformation" in your question. With all due respect, tattoos were not invented by your generation. They just became fashionable with the general public starting about 20 years ago (about same time as diamond ear studs for men). What us old-experienced people know is that all fashion statements lose their impact once they become common, and sooner or later go away. Except that tramp stamp tattoo won't. Tattoos used to be rebellious - now its just fashion.
    To me, elaborate, public tattoos look like a cry for attention (look at me, I am INTERESTING!), but have the opposite effect. As someone smarter than me said, "what old people know and young don't is that Mother Nature and Father Time will decorate you with lines, spots, scars and colors soon enough".

That being said, I have no trouble at all with discreet, tattoos that have a commemorative purpose, like military service. But a teenager with shirt-sleeve tattoos or a Ben Affleck back dragon, makes me sad.

I’m not (yet) of the older generation (38) but I’m a fan of tats for the most part. Ugly and meaningless tattoos seem like a waste of space (literally). I feel like some people get sleeves just to have sleeves.

I’d have no problem getting one or three, but honestly haven’t found that right piece of art that is meaningful and good looking to the eye. Being that I’m “Mr Reseaech” as my wife calls me, it’d take a couple years to vet all the tattoo artists within a 100 mile radius before I found one I was happy with!

I used to watch that tv show with Dave Navarro. Fun show and some cool stuff done.

I would have no clue whether the work was good or terrible. But from being friends with ex-military people who have tattoos, I know that the colors tend to fade and all that's left is the black - because the black doesn't fade.

But let me turn it around and ask you, "Why do you want tattoos?" Is it a statement of some kind? Or a tribe thing? Or what?

Mike

Of course, that is why we get touchups over time. And my artist does that for free, but I still tip.

I'm glad you asked Mike. I get them for many reasons. Heres just a few:
    My very first was with a group of friends. We all got the same exact thing, in the same place. We did this because three of them were going off to war, and we had no idea if we'd ever see each other again. Unfortunately one did die. But I'll always have a permanent tribute to him, and to all of us that grew up together, that I can remember him by.
    I have a rather large snake on my forearm as well. Same one my father has. We got it together, same day, same artist. He knows my passion for herpetology and we were talking about getting matching tattoos for a while, finally decided on that. We love it!
    I also have a quote across my collar bones (that one hurt). It's a quote I feel holds a special place in my heart. A reminder to myself to never live the way I once lived.
    I have a semicolon on my hand as well. I suffer from pretty bad depression, and its a pretty common tattoo for people like me, serves as a reminder that life goes on, just as long as you're willing to keep moving forward.
    Some are even as simple as album artwork from a band that helped me through tough times, one is from my favorite comic book series.
    There are many, many reasons I get tattoos. My body has become a canvas. One that tells many tales of my life, of loved ones, and things I hold dear to me.

Fair points Marshall. Very fair points. I don't see any issue with that logic at all, sir.

I just don't like the look of a heavily tattooed person, male or female. Many times, it's obvious that the person doesn't have a lot of money and I wonder why they wasted so much money on those tattoos.

Mike

Mike
    I hope you don't actually feel as judgmentally as some of these comments come across. I think the world is a more enlightened place in the absence of judgmental, negative assumptions or as the old timers might say, judging a book by its cover. For all we know, that tatted up person may be considerably wealthier and/or more educated than you or I. I always believe the wealthiest person in the room is often the one nobody would suspect, same with the smartest.

For myself, I tend to think most tattoo aficionados must have no trouble with commitment. Unless things have changed, as far as I know, there is no easy way to get a tattoo removed, especially an elaborate one. So at the very least, it's a long term decision.
    So long as it's not an overtly obscene or offensive tattoo and is not hurting anyone else, I say more power to you.