Thread: Can't Keep an Old Rust Hunter Down

Blog Entries

Can't Keep an Old Rust Hunter Down

The wife liked my idea of going out to the Oregon coast to do some shopping at the Costco south of Astoria.

It wasn't hard to talk her into doing some stops on the side at antique stores and such. She had a better day than me. My only find was a 9" draw knife:

9%22 Draw Knife 3.10.21.jpg

The tag on it was marked $22. Candy had picked out a few other items. At the register it is my habit to ask if there are any senior discounts or for quantity or just looking funny. (you don't get if you don't ask) She said she could drop the draw knife to $18 and knock a few bucks off Candy's items.

The mark looked familiar:

Draw Knife Maker's Mark.jpg

Seeing the P. made me think it was P.S.&W. It finally hit me that it looked familiar because one of my chisels is a P.S.&W.:

P.S.&W. Mark on Chisel.jpg

Well, now it just needs to be cleaned up and sharpened.

Candy wanted to look at a rock shop. She likes to be left alone for serious shopping at such times. My walk down one of the main streets there was interesting. Dropped into an herbalist and purchased some milk thistle seeds. Some butterflies, specifically Monarchs, are attracted to milk thistle.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-13-2021 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fixed P.W.&S. error
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I like your day.

That was a good company, I’ve got several things by them. One was a “take- down” framing square that I traded off.
    Good find there,Jim.

A good day. I like your photography in that first shot.

I use the funny looking angle all the time. If you got it, flaunt it
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.