Thread: New Freud blade whoopsss

New Freud blade whoopsss

Put my BRAND NEW Freud full kerf glue line blade on Tablesaw, worked great @ 90.

Next morning , still needing coffee, I tilted to 45.

Started saw up to hear a ZZIINNGGGG !!

Guess I did not notice that being full kerf it re cut a tiny bit wider path in the old school metal Powermatic table insert.

So, now, it cuts OK, but no longer "glue line" at all.

I guess no other solution than to send to resharpen?

To Freud, w a tail between legs approach hoping for a New one ? , or am I just bad and send to one of the other SC recommended shops?

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 04-03-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Yea...re-sharpening will hopefully clean it up for you. "Stuff happens" my friend!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You can bask in the knowledge that most of us have done something like that at one time or another. I try to avoid machines whenever I am too tired, hungry, grouchy, etc.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    To Freud, w a tail between legs approach hoping for a New one ? , or am I just bad and send to one of the other SC recommended shops?

Marc
    Yeesh, are you thinking you would own up to the mistake or shipping it back hoping they replace the blade without calling BS on the ding? Sadly shipping it back saying it didnt cut well would probably land you a new blade in the mail but for me that would be a lot of sleepless nights for being a louse.

The bonus is they are a heavy plate and heavy carbide so shipping it off for re-sharp isnt a big deal. to have to pay for your mistake but it happens to us all. Ive kissed the bottom of the feeder with a new blade, had the fence on the shaper that I forgot to tighten creep into the cutter (thankfully aluminum). Didnt tighten the feeder stand as much as I thought and had the feeder drift over and put a nice bevel on the rubber tire, run a $100 cnc carbide cutter into a fixture screw, it all just comes with the territory.

Order a second one to have while you get this one resharpened and it will turn your lemons into a bottle of beer.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 04-03-2018 at 6:07 PM.

Our sterling ethics committee has ruled justly and wisely. Just pay for a sharpening, you will be happy and unburdened.

Take the high road. In the long run that is always the best route.

I probably would have done the same thing without thinking. Now I know to look out for that. But the throat plates on my Laguna TS are not metal so hopefully that will help me.

No, no.. I meant I would say what happened, but accept if they did want to send one out.

I was not gonna fib to them.

Insert plate kinda looks at quick glance like cast Al, but quite heavy, pretty sure magnetic.. but does not rust at all.

Also, felt like steel when I ground the opening a bit wider.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Blog Entries
    Guess I did not notice that being full kerf it re cut a tiny bit wider path in the old school metal Powermatic table insert.
    Marc
    I had a similar experience with a metal throat plate, but with a brand new cross cut blade. I needed to cut 45 degree bevels along the ends of several pieces. My boards were just slightly longer than what was needed as a finished piece so I made the first miter cut very near the end of the first piece. As soon as I cut through the last bit of wood the wedge shaped cut off dropped down into the throat plate slot, got hit by a tooth and WHAMMM, it threw the blade to the left, taking out one full tooth and several carbide teeth, one of which hit me in the throat.

The good news was that other than a minor scratch, I wasn't hurt and when I sent the blade back to Freud, with a full explanation, they replaced it for free. The lesson learned was to get rid of the steel throat plate and switch to wood or aluminum with a wood insert. I now use a zero clearance insert on every cut including dados and grooves.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No, no.. I meant I would say what happened, but accept if they did want to send one out.

I was not gonna fib to them.

Insert plate kinda looks at quick glance like cast Al, but quite heavy, pretty sure magnetic.. but does not rust at all.

Also, felt like steel when I ground the opening a bit wider.

Marc
    Ahh, I see. That's what I call going fishing. You throw it out there and sometimes they bite (and you get a new blade in your case) and sometimes they don't (you get nothing but sympathy).

Its my take on the old "nothing ventured, nothing gained" adage.

I was not gonna fib to them.Marc

Didnt think so ;-) Sadly thats the way of the world for many now though. I like the idea of ordering another new one and shipping that one off and having two!!! lol. But may not need two. Its most definitely a bummer with a brand new blade. When I ticked the bottom of the feeder it was with a brand new 12" Freud Industrial Ripping blade so it wasnt as spendy as a nice glue line rip but still sucks. Id bet even if it were aluminum it'd probably affected cut quality.