Thread: Table Saw Cross Cut Blade ?

Table Saw Cross Cut Blade ?

I am wanting to get a Cross Cut blade for my table saw. I just built a sliding cross cut sled and need to get the right blade
    I will be cutting Birch and Maple Plywood and 3/4" oak and maple.
    I like Freud blades and they are available local.
    Would anyone have a suggestion on a Good Cross Cut Blade for my table saw ?

Thanks,
    Mike

A little more info on your saw would help. Size, make, HP, etc.

Sorry.....
    10" 1.5 hp powermatic artisan contractor's saw
    Vega fence
    Excailbur overblade dust arm
    Closed in base with dust hopper and 4" DC hose running to both ( top & bottom)
    Adjustable pully belt

For normal crosscutting plywood I think a standard kerf blade will work with your saw. If you were doing heavy work in hardwood, a thin kerf blade might be better, but for 3/4 ply and lumber I think a regular blade will work fine and may give you cleaner cuts than a thin kerf blade.

If you are doing more plywood and less hardwood, you might consider a 60 or even 80 tooth crosscut blade, although the 80 tooth might be a bit much for hardwood. The Freud LU73R010 would probably do a good job in both plywood and hardwood. Another option would be the Olshun SBL-100080. It's listed as a melamine/laminate blade but it also does an excellent job on plywood and hardwood as long as it's not too thick. It's a ATB-Hi blade with a higher tooth angle, so it cuts clean, but it's more fragile than a standard blade. I have one in my Powermatic 65 right now. Anything in the 60 to 80 tooth range should give you very clean cuts, but will only be good for crosscutting.

If you're looking for something that will give good crosscuts and you can also use for ripping, something in the 40 tooth range like the Freud D1040 might be a good option, but it won't cut plywood as cleanly as a higher tooth count blade.

Freud LU80R010

Exceptional cut on ply both ripping and cross cut with virtually zero tear out. Works very well on hardwood cross cuts too leaving a glass smooth finish.

Mike

Blog Entries
    The Freud LU73M10 is a pretty good blade for plywood and cross cutting hardwoods. I also use the LU82M10 for work with hardwoods. The trick with plywood is to use a fresh zero clearance insert to prevent tear out on the bottom of the cut and to keep you blade an inch or so above the wood surface so you are cutting down on the top layer of the plywood. You can also place painters tape on the cut line and the adhesive will hep reduce tear out. Just be sure to peel the tape toward the cut line and not away from the cut line when you remove it.

As always, tune up your saw with a dial indicator to insure that the blade is properly aligned with the miter slot and that the fence is also aligned with the miter slot.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have the 80 tooth Freud Ultimate Cutoff (LU85R010) and it works well for crosscutting hardwood an inch thick or less and 3/4" ply.

I ordered a 80 tooth plywood crosscut blade from Carbide Processors, Tenryu blade, and it is teriffic. Don't need a scoring blade. Also got a 80 tooth solid wood crosscut blade, and find it rips fine if I don't want to change to a rip blade.

A good quality higher tooth count blade with a Hi-ATB grind will give the lowest possible tearout. The Infinity 010-060 or 010-080 are both excellent and affordable. The CMT 210.080.10 or Freud LU79/LU80 would be other great choices.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Sorry.....
    10" 1.5 hp powermatic artisan contractor's saw
    Vega fence
    Excailbur overblade dust arm
    Closed in base with dust hopper and 4" DC hose running to both ( top & bottom)
    Adjustable pully belt
    I went looking for an Excalibur overarm blade guard and everywhere I looked they seemed to be out of stock and no idea when they would get more. Am I just looking in the wrong places or have they been discontinued?