Thread: Refurbished hand saw.

Refurbished hand saw.

The following is what can be achieved when you learn to sharpen your own hand saws. Its a 6ppi hand saw. The last 2 inches of saw teeth had been removed by a previous owner.

Included within the refurbishment was reshaping the handle, and filing the saw teeth from rip to a crosscut pattern.

Stewie;

the end result;

Blog Entries
    I have a refurbished 10 tpi D-12 that came to me with a broken handle. It now has a new curly maple handle, five brass saw nuts, and new teeth. I filed it cross cut.
    It was a fun project and it cuts really nice.

Very nice work, Stewie.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Nicely done, Stewie. Your handle work is something I aspire to someday. You certainly have a talented touch.

Blog Entries
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/12page.html

The D-12 is considered to be the top line of Disston saw

Stewie, That is an absolutely gorgeous handle you made. Did you stain the old handle or is that a new one.

If it is new, what wood specie is it?

Beautiful work! Did you do anything to the metal on the blade? It looks cleaner in the final picture. How did you restore the handle so nicely? I have a couple Disston saws whose handles look similar to your 'before' shot. Just sand them smooth and stain? And is that new hardware for the screws or just polished originals?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/12page.html

The D-12 is considered to be the top line of Disston saw

Stewie, That is an absolutely gorgeous handle you made. Did you stain the old handle or is that a new one.

If it is new, what wood specie is it?
    Lowell; the saw handle is original to the saw. The stain used was Van Dyke Crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Beautiful work! Did you do anything to the metal on the blade? It looks cleaner in the final picture. How did you restore the handle so nicely? I have a couple Disston saws whose handles look similar to your 'before' shot. Just sand them smooth and stain? And is that new hardware for the screws or just polished originals?
    Steven; the saw plate was lightly sanded back before being treated with a Metal Black solution. The original WS medallion was seized in tight and required drilling out to remove. That left the medallions threaded stem too short for re-use. As a result, the medallion and the other saw nut assemblies were replaced with spares I had on hand. The reshaping of the handle was completed using a variety of rasps and rifflers. Knowing what areas of the handle need to be worked to produce a visually appealing shape is a process that takes a lot of time and practice to become familiar with.

The following is a small sample of my previous backsaw making work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Lowell; the saw handle is original to the saw. The stain used was Van Dyke Crystals.
    Very nice reshaping of that handle Stewie !