Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jointer recommendations?

Jointer recommendations?

I searched through a bunch of old threads, but didn't really find what I'm looking for, so figured I'd ask.

Anyway, I currently have a G0490X on back order, but I'm getting tired of the waiting game. The impatient person that I am, wants something asap. What would you guys recommend?

I'm not overly concerned budget wise, so speak from the heart (and experience). I've been checking out the Laguna and Powermatic 8" parallelogram set ups. I have zero experience with either company, but
    I've heard some negative comments about Laguna (mostly customer service related). Laguna's main office is about a 10 minute drive from my house, so I plan on popping in and having a chat.
    Powermatic seems solid. I'm open to hearing about any manufacturer, strengths or weaknesses.

What do you guys think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would buy a 12 inch combination jointer/planer.

Hammer/Minimax/Felder.

I gave up on my 8" jointer about a decade ago, went with a Hammer A3-31. Saved shop space, had more capacity, better features.

regards, Rod.

I have to echo Rod's recommendation, but if you really want to go with the 8" and you are that close to Laguna where you can slap folks up-side their heads if there's any issue...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Check into both Baleigh and Oliver. The Baleigh has the largest fence/table of all the 8" jointers, is in stock and offers a helical head option. I have an old Powermatic 6" machine and love it but need to get a bigger machine someday and the above machines are my favorite choices right now.

Blog Entries
    The difference in price would buy a lot of wood if you do not have money-making commissions pending that demand the expense. However, you are not alone in being annoyed at Grizzly's back order condition. Laguna has managed to swing in and out of favor due to their . . . shall we say, interpersonal relations issues over the years. Right now their pendulum has swung to the "unhappy" side of its arc. This long-running issue of hot and cold support and service keeps me away. But, this is just me; I do the same for JessEm and both companies have very nice products. I just can't deal with non-responsive sellers.

Given that, I would lean toward the Powermatic if it is available for immediate delivery. For the extra dough you get a nicer, although non-mobile, base and a lower horsepower rated motor. I have never read that the unit is under-powered by any means and there is more to a motor than a horsepower number. The PM's used to have a better fit and finish than most but, the units I see on the floor now are at the level of any Jet or Grizzly machine. Availability seems to be the key here. If you are in Orange County there are a couple of PM dealers nearby. I would go lay hands on the Laguna and the PM and decide from there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You don't mention if you have a planer or not. If not then I would consider Rod's suggestion if you have the $. I opted for a used DeWalt planer and new Grizzly 8" as they were significantly less expensive than Rod's combo machine, although I think his A3-31 would be great. ($1000 at the time, vs. $3000).

I got the Oliver about 6 years ago. Couldn't be more satisfied - just does what it was suppose to do. It's the 8 inch with the byrd head. It's probably made with the others overseas but it does seem to have a nicer finish and everything works flawlessly. I got it at the IWF convention here in Atlanta one year as a floor demo special.

+1 on the combo unit if space is an issue. A 12 inch combo will take care of everything.
    Don

My 1st choice would be the A3-31 j/p. If not I'd be looking at the powermatic. I'd also keep an eye out for an older used jointer.

Check Craigslist around you. There's a (16") Minimax FS41 Elite available if you're willing to drive down to San Diego. There's also a 12" Tanner jointer available out by Palm Springs that's right in your price range. Made in New Zealand, looks pretty intriguing, likely a lot nicer than the Grizzly.

Lots of options in Southern California..
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 04-02-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Hard to beat a vintage cast iron machine.

From this for $400.00

After approx. $200 cutterhead and motor bearings, $65 for new knives, $200 for regrinding the tables, and $40 for paint. Call it $1000 or a little less, including a week of my work and gas money to pick it up.

Very hard to beat the quality of the vintage cast iron machines. Unlike the new machines today, the cast iron used back then was better quality (not recycled), was set out for seasoning for a very long time, instead of being machined in less than a few months, and is just thicker and heavier. A large reason why guys have problems with a lot of the newer machines made today is due to the lack of quality in the cast iron, and mostly because of the lack of seasoning for extended periods of time before final machining.

Jeff M., who is the owner of Northfield Machinery, the only North American manufacturer of industrial machinery still in business, told me that they allowed the castings to sit outside for 10 years or longer before machining them into a finished machine. It matters in the quality of a machine like a jointer or planer, where movement of a couple thousandth's makes a big difference.

Just thought I'd share another option.....

These were made in sizes ranging from 8" to 36" cutterheads. I have owned an 8", 12", 16" (this one shown) and a 24". Great machines that once tuned, require minimal maintenance.

8"
    Yatesoutfeed.JPG

12"
    yates12inchjointer.JPG

24"
    finished1.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Heath; 04-02-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    Jeff

Thanks for the replies.

I'm always wary of combo machines, seems like too many things that can go wrong, but I'll look into them for sure. Plus the switch over is a pain that I'd rather not deal with. Also the tables are a lot shorter, which is something I'd like to avoid. I do have a Dewalt 735 planer, and it does pretty much all I need, but I could easily sell it if I go the j/p route.

Believe me, I scour Craigslist like a drug addict! I've seen all the ones around me, but frankly, I have no way to pick them up and get them into my garage. So I've given up the idea of buying used. It's just too much hassle.

Space is definitely a major concern, and the ability to move it around as needed. Probably should have mentioned that before, hah. That was one of the reasons I choose the Grizzly, since it has the mobile base built in. Laguna has the same setup, but Powermatic doesn't, which turns me off to them a bit, as their mobile bases look rather bulky. I have a feeling a PM would eat up too much space.
    Last edited by Corey Pelton; 04-02-2018 at 2:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm always wary of combo machines, seems like too many things that can go wrong, but I'll look into them for sure. I do have a Dewalt 735 planer, and it does pretty much all I need, but I could easily sell it if I go the j/p route.

Space is definitely a major concern, and the ability to move it around as needed. Probably should have mentioned that before, hah. That was one of the reasons I choose the Grizzly, since it has the mobile base built in. .
    Hi, it's certainly not an issue on the better machines, manufacturers have been building them for a very long time.

A combination machine saves you money and space, and they're available with manufacturer supplied mobility if you wish............Rod.

I won't get into the combo machine debate, or the name brand discussion, but I will say that if you're working with reasonably large pieces of hardwood, bigger is better. I had a 6" import machine for a few years, hated it, hardly ever used it and did my edging on the table saw with various work-arounds. Eventually I got an 8" Grizzly with a helical head and that changed everything; every piece of rough lumber got edged and sometimes faced, and it made cleaning up lumber much easier. Then I found a 12" Delta Invicta. It originally had Dispoz-a-Blade knives in it. I eventually upgraded to a Byrd head and put a feeder on it. That changed everything again, and I can work with much larger/thicker stock much easier. It's a relatively big, heavy jointer, but I have it on a mobile base and it's not too hard to move around.

Go as big as you can afford and find room for.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm always wary of combo machines, seems like too many things that can go wrong, but I'll look into them for sure. Plus the switch over is a pain that I'd rather not deal with. Also the tables are a lot shorter, which is something I'd like to avoid. I do have a Dewalt 735 planer, and it does pretty much all I need, but I could easily sell it if I go the j/p route.

Believe me, I scour Craigslist like a drug addict! I've seen all the ones around me, but frankly, I have no way to pick them up and get them into my garage. So I've given up the idea of buying used. It's just too much hassle.

Space is definitely a major concern, and the ability to move it around as needed. Probably should have mentioned that before, hah. That was one of the reasons I choose the Grizzly, since it has the mobile base built in. Laguna has the same setup, but Powermatic doesn't, which turns me off to them a bit, as their mobile bases look rather bulky. I have a feeling a PM would eat up too much space.
    I own a bit newer version of the FS41 Elite in the SD CL posting and would certainly recommend it. As Rod mentioned, there is little that can go wrong with the better machines.

If you look along the bottom of the photo of the one in the listing you can see it has wheels so relatively easy to move around with the supplied pinch bar. Moving it is as simple as rolling the machine on and off a lift gate which can be rented from Ryder or Penske.