Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whew - wiring up & "finishing" the shop

Whew - wiring up & "finishing" the shop

I just felt like sharing, got a lot done this weekend
    We built our house (and shop) 5-1/2 yds ago and I've been finishing out the inside as time, money and needs allow. My little 6" jointer and dewalt lunchbox planer are about to get the boot since I've bought a 12" jointer and 16" planer so it was time to finish out the last wall of the shop.
    This last wall is also the wall I had covered with shelf brackets as my lumber rack SO I started out by switching to a vertical rack, that was a job in itself(that was a week or two ago). Next (this weekend)was pulling wire while working around all the tools that are in the way, man I wish I would've done that from the get go!
    Now I've got 30&20A twist lock outlets though, along with some 120v interior and exterior outlets - no more extension cord outside for mower battery chargers, skil saw etc.
    I'm also wiring up a pair of 120v 3way switches to energize a relay for the soon to be built 5hp Pentz cyclone setup, that'll let me turn it on near any of the machines that use it.
    Tomorrow afternoon I should be moving the new machines in so I'll get some pics up asap :-)
    Thanks for listening!
    Grant

Blog Entries
    Congratulations..... We need some pictures.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Fantastic! Wiring is one of my favorite parts. Sure is easier when the building is empty though...
    While wiring up the DC switches it's not much more effort adding a few extra with 4-way switches, if that might help in the future.

I wanna see pictures too.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    Congratulations..... We need some pictures.
    Yeah! What he said! Gotta be a good feeling to get to/near the finish line.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Fleming View Post
    Yeah! What he said! Gotta be a good feeling to get to/near the finish line.
    Agreed. By me reckoning, yesterday was "Tomorrow afternoon" for your Easter Sunday post. Where de pics?

Congrats on getting near the finish line.

I didn't think to take a before picture, it was shelf brackets in 3 tiers where I had to dig for the board I wanted, here's the vertical rack. I just drilled into the studs and used some conduit I had laying around. I wedged a screw into each hole to make it a tight fit, worked out great. The last couple into the corner are lower for shorter but heavy boards (8/4 heart pine and maple in there now, about 5ft pieces). Lighter shorts are on the wall to the right on a Bora rack.
    My walls are 9ft but there is no ceiling. We built it with trusses on 4ft centers and used 4" foam board under the steel roof so I can put up to 14ft boards as the rack sits.
    https://ibb.co/dRcQRc
    https://ibb.co/gm8zmc

I kept it simple on the wall covering too- 2x12 as a baseboard and 3/8 bc ply hung vertically. I'm undecided whether I want to paint it or not. I'll have to add a pic of the covered wall, forgot to snap one last night. Moving the machines this morning so I'll update later today

Last edited by Grant Aldridge; 04-03-2018 at 7:57 AM.

Great!

I like your vertical lumber supports. I might make some, perhaps with some lower pipes as well for shorter lengths.

Your shop sounds a bit like mine - I covered the walls with 1/2" ply so I could mount things anywhere. I thought about painting, mostly for a brighter space, but never did. The walls are darkening but I have bright lighting! I also put 1/2" ply on the ceiling fastened to the trusses, [EDIT, ignore big goof: also on 4' centers] [EDIT, replace with:] my trusses are on 2' centers. I almost killed myself getting the first one up until I bought this:

panel_jack_IMG_20150106_185527_791.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-04-2018 at 8:22 AM. Reason: Fix dumb goof about truss spacing

Little, meet big :-)

multiple image hosting

It looks great good for you. I would think about plugging or capping the ends of those conduit pieces with something. I can't tell what height they are off the floor, but if you trip and fall onto one of them they can leave unpleasant holes.
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    It looks great good for you. I would think about plugging or capping the ends of those conduit pieces with something. I can't tell what height they are off the floor, but if you trip and fall onto one of them they can leave unpleasant holes.
    Zach
    They're around 7ft from the floor but I'm still going to cap them and put safety cables on them

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Great!

I like your vertical lumber supports. I might make some, perhaps with some lower pipes as well for shorter lengths.

Your shop sounds a bit like mine - I covered the walls with 1/2" ply so I could mount things anywhere. I thought about painting, mostly for a brighter space, but never did. The walls are darkening but I have bright lighting! I also put 1/2" ply on the ceiling fastened to the trusses, also on 4' centers. I almost killed myself getting the first one up until I bought this:

panel_jack_IMG_20150106_185527_791.jpg

JKJ

John, great idea on the lift! I just bought one to help with the drywall in the living quarters of my shop, but it's going to come in hand on the high walls and eventual ceilings in the shop too. It's cheaper to buy one nowadays than rent for a couple weeks.
    Jeff

Grant, like the wood storage idea too. That saves some floor space and makes mulling through your stock easier. Good work!
    Jeff

Oh yeah I meant to ask John about his ceiling - have you noticed it sagging between trusses? I would think it would need more than just the 4ft centers to support but maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Aldridge View Post
    Oh yeah I meant to ask John about his ceiling - have you noticed it sagging between trusses? I would think it would need more than just the 4ft centers to support but maybe not
    EDIT: Oops, I just noticed I lied. My trusses are on 2' centers - I just walked down to the shop and checked. On top of that, I had my trusses made with 2x6 lumber instead of 2x4. (sorry, I'm elderly and feeble-minded) I suspect the ply would indeed sag at 4' without blocking for reinforcement. Sorry to mislead.

I even used short pieces of 2x6 laid flat between the trusses where two edges of ply met and screwed to those since sometimes the edges of plywood are a bit wavy. It would be easy to put blocking between the trusses every few feet.

Jeffery, not only are the panel jacks relatively inexpensive I could have sold mine several times after I was done. I decided to keep it, one reason is in case I ever needed to remove a panel. (I hope not, since I installed five access hatches in the ceiling)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 04-04-2018 at 8:19 AM. Reason: oops

That makes more sense John! It's handy having it open but I may add some ceiling in a couple areas. I've got some air gap sealing and insulating to do but the 4" foam board does a great job keeping the shop comfortable. I just use a window ac. I'm in South Georgia so it runs nearly all the time. When it dies I'll upgrade to a mini split