Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Press Station

Drill Press Station

drill press cab 3.jpg
    Drill press station from pics on the internet. I have a small shop (260 square feet) so I have to utilize all the space the best I can manage. I’ve been building tool cabinets with lots of storage. This is a design I kept seeing so I cobbled something together and put my DP on an inexpensive base from Harbor Freight. Typical build but I really enjoyed building the drawers (hung with hardwood slides), the trim and the drawer pulls. Its the third cabinet/mobile base I’ve made in March. Can’t wait til the finish dries then I can load it up with all the accessories that are cluttering up my shop.

drill press cab 2.jpgdrill press cab 5.jpgdrill press cab 6.jpgdrill press cab 7.jpg
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 04-02-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Here are a few more pics of the other recent cabinets….
    cabinets .jpg

cabinets and band saw.jpgdrum sander cabinet1.jpgdrill press cab 4.jpg

and a glimpse of the table top for my Ridgid tablesaw… serves as an assembly table and can be removed and set up as an outfeed table on the saw or completely removed and set up outside too.

cabinets and tablesaw-assembly table.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 04-01-2018 at 6:32 PM.

Nice stand Jon!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

4. Looks good! I need to make one of those. Your band saw is being for a matching base cabinet, it'd be a good place to keep blades

That's awesome. I went quick/dirty/simple on mine, but I do have a little more space so my needs are to slightly improve space usage, but not totally maximize it. I also wanted to be able to move it to drill big stuff. So I just did a simple plywood box that has wheels on the back and feet on the front. An extendable handle can be used to move it out of the way. It also holds a cut-off support for the miter next to it.

IMG_1232.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys! Carlos, I like your multi-use cabinet/miter support. I need to try and make some multi-use fixtures too.
    I like the idea of a matching cabinet for the bandsaw Grant. That may be next on the to-do list.

All looks great and very functional! Having those shallow drawers handy right at the DP is a nice thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Nice job. I really enjoy having all my DP accessories right nearby. I also build bases with storage for many of my tools. It really ups the usable space in a small shop.

DP-Cab (32).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Nice job. I really enjoy having all my DP accessories right nearby. I also build bases with storage for many of my tools. It really ups the usable space in a small shop.

DP-Cab (32).jpg
    TP storage in the lower left?

Beautiful set up Jon.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Glenn,
    Do me a favor and post a couple of pics of your dp table with the fence and t-tracks. Thats a sharp design... much better than what I was planning. I was overthinking it and the table top would interfere with the crank that raises and lowers the table.
    thanks
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wolfe View Post
    Here are a few more pics of the other recent cabinets….
    cabinets .jpg

cabinets and band saw.jpg

Jon,
    Nice cabinets! Can you share more info on the belt/disc/spindle sander on the right? I've only ever seen one and that was a few years ago.

That is a really nice set-up for the drill press. I plan to do the same thing as you due to the problem of too little space and too many tools (there is no such thing as too many tools, just too little space).
    What size casters did you use? Thanks.

Nice looking setup Jon. Can you post more details on the builds?

The table top on the Rigid TS is what you use for a workbench? I did something similar out of 3/4" plywood that I set on a couple of saw horses I picked up from Lowes which gives a a 2' x 8' workbench in my driveway. I have a smaller traditional one in the garage. But I stain on the plywood one and I'm not opposed to screwing things to it if I need to.

When you have limited space you learn to improvise.

Now that I'm finally adding tools I seriously need to learn how to build shop cabinets. Unless something comes up on CL I'll probably go with a bench top drill press and I'm liking your matching cabinet idea for the sanding station and the Delta 9" band saw.

And Welcome to the 'Creek. Remember that it flows 24x7 and there is always someone here.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 04-12-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added welcome message.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

That looks wonderful. I recently got rid of my cheapo clarke standing drill press and bought a 12 inch Wen, which I really enjoy. I am definitely thinking of a cabinet and this just helped me make a decision.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    TP storage in the lower left?
    You're on to me . I cut paper towel rolls on the bandsaw to make rolls of small finishing "rags".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler