Thread: Moving shop tips

Moving shop tips

Hi all,

im moving about 1 hr drive. Need to move the shop this weekend. I’ve rented a 26’ Penske box truck with the power lift gate. Most items should be easy enough just roll mobile base onto lift gate. Then Wheel into truck.

Questions:

1. Do you build crates? Or some sort of crating? I’m worried about all the stuff sliding around in the truck. I have a bunch of tie downs but just asking

2. Moving the big minimax slider might be tough to get on ge lift gate and spin around any thoughts on this?

Other shop moving tips?

nancy

I seriously doubt that the lift-gate on that truck is going to be effective for moving a hefty sliding table saw. Weight and dimensions are going to be a challenge. You'll probably be better using a low trailer for that where you can move it on there lengthwise. Honestly, moving something that large may be a better job for a rigger, despite the cost. They know how to move heavy machinery safely. I know that if I ever faced moving in the future, there's absolutely no way I would try to move my S315WS myself.

For an hour move, I don't think you need crating, but you absolutely need to insure things are locked down so they do not move.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

First of all there are tons of threads on here about moving shops. Read through those and you’re sure to glean some good info.

Second, that lift gate will be great for a majority of stuff, from heavy boxes to smaller machines. But as Jim said some things like a slider will be tough. What’s the load limit of the lift gate? How much does the slider weigh? Can you remove parts to lighten it?

I’d go to HF and buy a ton of ratchet straps, crates likely aren't necessary. Some sheets of plywood will be handy for in between stuff, moving blankets too (another good HF item). Do as much as you can this week to pack up the smaller stuff in boxes, or better yet (clear) plastic bins. Hand truck is a must.

Liftgate is 4*8 and lifts 3000lb. I figured that would work.

My 126" stroke scmi si16w barely weighs 2300 pounds.
    That's plenty, other than the width.

Pallet jack works wonders along with packing stuff in tight. They don't secure every skid in LTL.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Strevelowski View Post
    ...I’m worried about all the stuff sliding around in the truck. I have a bunch of tie downs but just asking
    As well as the straps I would wrap or pad everything critical. My moves were longer but I've had a couple of things that were insufficiently padded vibrate and wear through paint to bare metal.

I second the idea of a pallet jack. Truckers who delivered things here used pallet jacks to move stuff around inside the truck. I think you can rent one.

I moved my shop 2 years ago. My new shop is larger and I now have more and larger pieces of equipment, so the next move will be even more "fun."

- Using a forklift, chain hoist, or a tractor to lift things onto the bed of a flatbed trailer is the easiest.
    - Second easiest is having everything on mobile bases and pulling/pushing the equipment up ramps. This is what I did.
    - Disassemble anything not on a base that you can't carry by yourself if you do not have any way to pick it up (forklift, chain hoist, tractor, engine crane, etc.)
    - I did not crate anything up as I hauled it myself and I strapped everything so it could not tip over. I did lay my steel spined bandsaw down on its spine.
    - No matter what you do, it will be "a lot of fun." Better make the move worthwhile and move into a better shop if you're going to go through the trouble of moving your machines.

I moved my shop few months ago.I used pallet jack and truck with lift gate.
    I put everything on pallets and strapped it to pallet. I also used plastic wrap to hold small stuff together.
    Jaromir

Marc Spagnuolo, aka The Wood Whisperer, recently moved from Arizona to Colorado. His process might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7WbN_EmOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIkMGeXdZ64
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-02-2018 at 1:19 PM. Reason: Removed link to forum

When I moved my 9' slider, I rented a box truck with a 7' x 7' "rail" gate. It's basically a much longer lift gate. With such a long rail gate, you can push the slider straight onto the rail gate, and roll it straight into the truck. I didn't want to rotate the slider when it was 3 feet off the ground!

Once in the truck you can screw the slider to the floor assuming the truck has a wooden floor. We also nylon strapped the machine to tie downs. You can also use stretch wrap to wrap around the slider itself. You don't want the slider to unlatch and bang into other equipment or the truck.

Well Jim, you were right...got the whole shop nicely and safely moved today except for the darn slider. It’s like these things are made to never be portable. We tried everything and could find a safe way on the lift gate and into the truck. Plan is to have a pro come out next week for $500 door to door. He will put it on a flat bed with a forklift. I braced the motor with a rigid piece of hard styrofoam, and Saran wrapped the saw. Removed all the extension tables and such. Any other suggestions for it sitting in the wind for 50 mins? Will be a sunny day.

I think your slider will be fine for that short trip in nice weather. And no, they were not designed to be "portable"... Which is one of their great qualities. They. Do. Not. Move.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...