Thread: Determining Dado Joint Dimensions

Determining Dado Joint Dimensions

I'm about to work on my first project with dado joints. Is there a formula or guidelines to determine the dimensions for the dado and rabbet joints?

Blog Entries
    I typically will not remove more than 1/3 thickness in depth.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    If I am working with 3/4" material. I try to have the dados about 1/4".
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Dados are about a third the thickness of the material the dado is cut into. Harder, denser material can be less.

Rabbetts are somewhat subjective based on design. The "classic" would be half the thickness. In other words the rabbett for 4/4, or 3/4" would be 3/8"x3/8". Again though, this is only the beginning, and probably how most folks learn to cut their first rabbetts.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Dados are about a third the thickness of the material the dado is cut into. Harder, denser material can be less.

Rabbetts are somewhat subjective based on design. The "classic" would be half the thickness. In other words the rabbett for 4/4, or 3/4" would be 3/8"x3/8". Again though, this is only the beginning, and probably how most folks learn to cut their first rabbetts.
    Thanks Mike, just what I needed. I'm making a dutch shuffleboard, and I'll have a combination of dados and rabbetts.

-Mike

I make all my dados 3/8 in 3/4 wood including all rabbits.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I make all my dados 3/8 in 3/4 wood including all rabbits.
    This is what I normally do. I am working on a project now where I decided to try 1/4" deep dado.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

For a 3/4" wide board, I would make a 1/2" wide dado. The shoulders would be 1/8" either side. As Brian mentioned, 1/4" deep is sufficient. You do not want to remove strength from the main section by cutting too deeply.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    For a 3/4" wide board, I would make a 1/2" wide dado. The shoulders would be 1/8" either side. As Brian mentioned, 1/4" deep is sufficient. You do not want to remove strength from the main section by cutting too deeply.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I mostly went 3/8 deep for 3/4 material, but what Derek just said makes perfect sense...........I think I will start going 1/4 deep from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    I mostly went 3/8 deep for 3/4 material, but what Derek just said makes perfect sense...........I think I will start going 1/4 deep from now on.
    I too agree that this makes sense.

Learned a process improvement today. Thanks Derek and all of SMC.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.