Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Repair for 1930 Tractor

Wheel Repair for 1930 Tractor

My friend and neighbor asked me to help him replace two rims on a 1930 model year tractor he is rebuilding. The existing rims were rusted through almost 360 degrees at the edge of each rim and replacement was the only option. He found a suitable set of rims from an old cart that were the proper rim size but the hubs would not fit so we decided to remove the old hub and spokes and weld them into the new rims.
    Wheel Repair 1a.jpg This is the old hub and spokes we removed by plasma cutting the old rim around the spokes.

Wheel Repair 1b.jpg This is the replacement rim after we plasma cut the spokes removing them and the hub.

Wheel Repair 1c.jpg This is my neighbor grinding the old spokes on a jig we made to adjust the fit of the spokes to the new rim.

Wheel Repair 1d.jpg This is the wheel assembly ready to weld the spokes to the rim.

Wheel Repair 1g.jpg This is the finished project with the new tires installed and ready to mount.

Wheel Repair 1h.jpg Now his tractor is completed, the next phase he will be rebuilding the sulky and the attachment bar where all of the implements mount.

Believe it or not it took us two days to rebuild these two wheel assemblies in my shop. I had originally thought we could get them done in a day but the job of keeping the wheels in alignment turned out to be a much bigger task than I had anticipated. Even so it was an enjoyable project and I can't wait to see this machine back in service after so many years of sitting in the woods rusting.

I love the grinding jig. Forgive me, I'm a city boy, what kind of tractor is that?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My friend told me the manufacturers name but I can't remember. I will ask him again and get back to you Bruce.

Keith, it looks like a walk behind, I was just curious what it was used for.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

It is a walk behind machine but it also has a sulky so you can ride. Just behind the engine is a large steel bar that you connect attachments to so you can plow, disc, cultivate, mow, etc.

Thanks. I went to an agriculture equipment show once and found all the machinery fascinating.

Andy Rooney

7. Could be an Old David Bradley or maybe a Gibson. My dad had one of each years ago when I was a kid in the 40s.

Larry,

Neither one of the names you mentioned rings a bell. I haven't seen my neighbor this week but I will ask him when I get the chance....maybe today. The next time I visit his shop I will try to remember to get a picture of the sulky and the bar mount system that connects the tools to the machine.

I think that basically one company manufactured these machines and several sold them under their company make and model numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Larry,

Neither one of the names you mentioned rings a bell. I haven't seen my neighbor this week but I will ask him when I get the chance....maybe today. The next time I visit his shop I will try to remember to get a picture of the sulky and the bar mount system that connects the tools to the machine.

I think that basically one company manufactured these machines and several sold them under their company make and model numbers.
    Interesting. I guess manufacturers selling essentially the same machine with different labels is not as new as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Interesting. I guess manufacturers selling essentially the same machine with different labels is not as new as I thought.
    Its a very old practice. If I recall, hardware and tools from England that were sold in the colonies was often re-badged for the local supplier. That is the earliest example I can think of at the moment, but I am pretty certain that the practice predates that by a huge amount.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

My father has an old Cave VAC and the wheels were all rusted through. The tires were the same 28 inch size that I have on my Ford 8N. It had the huge 5 star cast wheel hub on the axles and around the inside of the wheel rim were raised metal fasteners to attach to the clamps on the five star hub. We could not find new rims anywhere and the few used rims we found were terrible. So we got ford 8n rims with the six point bolt on places, which was about three inches larger in diameter than the five point hub. We got some 3/8 inch plate and cut circles with the outside diameter of the ford rim and the inside diameter was the outer measurement of the Case 5 point hub and then drilled 11 holes to match the ford rim on the outer edge and the case hub on the inner edge. He has been using the tractor that way since 1992.

Wow, great job - my kind of fun!

I keep looking for things to use the plasma cutter on. Hmmm... a friend left a 2500 Chevy truck here about 3 years ago saying she would come back soon and work on the fuel line. That would be fun to cut into chunks!

JKJ

Hi Keith.
    Great job on those rims! That would have been a bugger to get them aligned just right. Also your neighbor is very lucky to have a neighbor like you! Is there any other neighbors properties for sale near you? Or are you looking for a move to Chewton Australia?

hey John. With the Plasma cutter. I’ve seen where someone took a old vehicle and plasma cut like a scene all around it! How cool! How about plasma cutting ivy vines and leaves al, over it like it’s over grown with them! That would be cool!
    I’d drop the gas tank first though. We want you around here still for awhile!

Regards Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Yates View Post
    hey John. With the Plasma cutter. I’ve seen where someone took a old vehicle and plasma cut like a scene all around it! How cool! How about plasma cutting ivy vines and leaves al, over it like it’s over grown with them! That would be cool! ...
    Maybe I'll try it on my wife's car. I'll just tell her it wasn't my idea.

JKJ

Richard,

James, my neighbor in the picture is a close friend of mine. We work on lots of projects together in my shop and his. He is an accomplished woodworker and cabinet maker so we make a good team. Last but not least James can outwork a young man and he is all business when we get together on a big project. He has helped me rebuilding my barn, roofing, installing siding and a long list of other home projects. We team up together on commercial sign jobs as well and although he can't operate my CNC Router or Laser Engraver he is a seasoned veteran on any other woodworking machine. I can't even imagine starting a big sign project without James.

We live in a rural area of Gloucester County Virginia and there is plenty of space to build a home and lots of homes available to purchase, come on down Mate