Thread: Maple and Koa Urn

Maple and Koa Urn

Just finished this Urn today, it is a commissioned piece. Curly Maple and some amazing Koa. 13" Tall and 'bout 5-1/2 at it's widest point.

Comment / Critique welcomed.

Tim Boger20180331_111541.jpg20180331_111609.jpg20180331_121133.jpg

Very good looking, wood great choice, form real nice. Workman ship top notch.
    C&C WELCOME

Thanks Allan, appreciate that!

Beautiful urn. Just curious, in MN where I live, I am told that standard urn vaults are 12-1/2" x 9" x 10" and vaults are required for urn burial. What have others found about turned urns? Do people usually choose to bury them? How many states require vaults. I made an urn for my dad in Ohio and they did not require a vault. Or, is it cemetery choice whether vaults are used?

beautiful. Had a hard time accepting that the top is is flat! Many ....if not all of those rules for burials are made up by morticians and rubber stamped by state legislatures.....of course the morticians try to "put the best face" on it
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 03-31-2018 at 6:57 PM.

Interesting question Jenny, I've always assumed that the Urns that I've been asked to make would be kept in the home and admired.

Perhaps it's time for some research.

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Trice View Post
    Beautiful urn. Just curious, in MN where I live, I am told that standard urn vaults are 12-1/2" x 9" x 10" and vaults are required for urn burial. What have others found about turned urns? Do people usually choose to bury them? How many states require vaults. I made an urn for my dad in Ohio and they did not require a vault. Or, is it cemetery choice whether vaults are used?

Thanks Mel, I appreciate your thoughts.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    beautiful. Had a hard time accepting that the top is is flat! Many ....if not all of those rules for burials are made up by morticians and rubber stamped by state legislatures.....of course the morticians try to "put the best face" on it

Tim - that is a truly beautiful urn. Great choice of woods.

My question is this: Did you use a special threaded insert for the lid? I am going to be taking a class in the Fall at J C Campbell on Cremation Urns (I have made a couple for my family, so far, and they just have friction lids). I've been told that Funeral Homes require screwed on lids to prevent accidental loss of cremains (My Dad's ashes were kept in a tied plastic bag inside the urn). What info can you impart? Thanks.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Tim,
    The urn and your workmanship are beautiful - a final, warm and respectful tribute to the person's life.
    Well done.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Good morning Mark,

The threads are simply plastic pipes fittings, you get a male and a female in the size that fits your piece, you can get Black or White ... cheap and easy to cut. Rough up the surface's to be glued and I use epoxy.

I wouldn't trust a friction fit lid to hold it's shape indefinitely, I agree with the zip lock bag being used inside the Urn to keep the ashes safe.

Thanks for the compliments,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Tim - that is a truly beautiful urn. Great choice of woods.

My question is this: Did you use a special threaded insert for the lid? I am going to be taking a class in the Fall at J C Campbell on Cremation Urns (I have made a couple for my family, so far, and they just have friction lids). I've been told that Funeral Homes require screwed on lids to prevent accidental loss of cremains (My Dad's ashes were kept in a tied plastic bag inside the urn). What info can you impart? Thanks.