Thread: Lincoln 225 AC Conversion to DC

Lincoln 225 AC Conversion to DC

I've read thru several threads where the poster converted a Lincoln 225 AC welder to a DC welder. Has anyone here ACTUALLY done such a conversion? The reason I ask, is last Sunday at dumpsters, two guys were fixing to trash an older Lincoln 225 AC machine, which now resides in my shop. There seems to be two items needed, a bridge rectifier (less than ($40 on ebay) and a choke coil. The coil can be made from the transformer in a microwave oven. I am replacing an over the stove microwave oven for a friend this week, so transformer isn't a problem.

Years ago I picked up a DC converter box. Works great. Maybe you could watch E-bay for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    Years ago I picked up a DC converter box. Works great. Maybe you could watch E-bay for one.
    On one of the welding forums, I saw such. It's a full wave rectifier that comes as a kit, or prebuilt. Uses individual diodes, which you have to wire in place. Now you can get a full wave bridge rectifier from China in just a few days. Around $40 for a 300 amp, 1600 volt one. Over the weekend, started gutting microwave oven transformer. Was surprised to find that windings were aluminum, instead of copper.

Received my full wave bridge rectifier, and have built my choke using MOT (microwave oven transformer.) Ordered a crimper for leads, which should be here tomorrow. Watched another build of Miller Thunderbolt conversion to DC. Gave Lincoln to BIL, so I will do my Thunderbolt instead.

I was ready to mod a HF welder but then found a DC Lincoln for a good price on CL. There was a ton of info on weldingweb.. Don't you need to purchase a big cap too?

[QUOTE=Mike Goetzke;2817774 There was a ton of info on weldingweb.. Don't you need to purchase a big cap too?[/QUOTE]Weldingweb is where I picked up info on adding DC to an AC machine. You don't have to have the big capacitor.

Got the last of my parts today, but now I'm in the middle of a "RUSH" cabinet job for local "Y." Welder will have to be put on "back burner " for a while. Why is it that I either don't have the money, or don't have the time?

Almost a year later, and today did the conversion. Mounted choke (rewound MOT) on inside back of welder,and rectifier on inside bottom of welder. Added new terminals ( red, and black) for DC output. Cleaned and oiled fan while I had welder apart. Only got to burn one rod as it was raining, and I do my welding outside. Next project is to add a connector to wall of shop so leads don't have to be in the door. In the mean time, I've been restoring son's Lincoln Weld N Power 225 which has set for several years. Brushes were stuck, and starter motor, along with the gas tank were trash. The 120 recepticals needed replacing. Need to fab a new gas tank. For now, I let engine lift fuel directly from fuel cans. At some point in the future, I will build a small trailer, as welder currently is mounted to a 4' X 8' two axle trailer.

Maybe this will be a idea you can use get a low pressure(2-4 psi) electric fuel pump or fit a vacuum pulse type like on some lawn mowers are fitted with and use a portable marine type fuel tank , that might make life easier than a fuel tank fab.

Quote Originally Posted by david privett View Post
    Maybe this will be a idea you can use get a low pressure(2-4 psi) electric fuel pump or fit a vacuum pulse type like on some lawn mowers are fitted with and use a portable marine type fuel tank , that might make life easier than a fuel tank fab.
    David, our Lincoln Weld N Power already has fuel pump built into carb. This how is how I've been running it, getting fuel directly from fuel can, using my adapter. See my thread in off topic forum "Fueling a generator while it's running."
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-15-2019 at 8:06 AM.