Thread: Laser Engrave Cricket Ball or Baseball

Laser Engrave Cricket Ball or Baseball

I have a Universal VLS6.60 and a rotary attachment. I need to laser engrave some cricket balls. Has anyone done this before? I need about 35 degrees of tilt too because the text is not on top.

I guess I need a way to hold the ball and a way to tilt without running out of Z height and not interfering with the gantry.

Also are these best to paint fill once you get the engraving on?

Cheers
    Keith
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Cricket balls, do you have to anesthetize them? I can't imagine they'd go willingly...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Colson View Post
    I have a Universal VLS6.60 and a rotary attachment. I need to laser engrave some cricket balls. Has anyone done this before? I need about 35 degrees of tilt too because the text is not on top.

I guess I need a way to hold the ball and a way to tilt without running out of Z height and not interfering with the gantry.

Also are these best to paint fill once you get the engraving on?

Cheers
    Keith
    No Keith you don't paint fill them - you use the Aussie technique and sandpaper them!
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

I know zilch about Cricket 'the game' balls -- but I engrave Lacrosse balls for a few schools around here a few times a year- they're hard silicone and engrave okay but rough, you'd never want paint near them because you'd never get it off--

Baseballs are leather and would fun to hit with a laser beam--

okay, just googled, and 'they' say Cricket balls are cork covered with leather, 'adult size' are approx. 2.8" diameter, and mfr'd to "1st class standards"-

SO- being leather, you shouldn't paint the engraving, and with luck (always a crap shoot) the lasered color will have a good contrast to the, I'm assuming, red leather.

As to engraving around the circumference, leather is very forgiving as to focus- With a 3" lens and maybe a 2" you should be able to span at least 7/8" to as much as 1-1/4" across the X axis easily- if using a rotary your Y axis is unlimited, so any engraving that will fit within a 1" x 8" rectangle should be doable in one pass with a rotary...
    cbas.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Done and dusted

I made a quick fixture which worked really well. Here are some photo's. I had to run the rotary tool dismantled from the body and drilled and tapped a support hole which is bound to come in handy.

Engraved leather ball

Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

That's an impressive adaptation of your rotary device. Good thinking.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Very nice! Love the plex fixture!

Me, I would've cut a tomato sauce can in half
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers