Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What material is best for making templates?

What material is best for making templates?

I'm new to the forum and new to woodworking so I have a lot to learn. One of my first projects is to make some adirondack chairs. I have a set of some plans (.pdf) and want to make templates for the various parts. My question is, what would be the best material and process for making the templates?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Welcome to the Creek. I would use 1/8 or 1/4 tempered hardboard. Probably 1/8,it is cheap and durable. Process,do you have a jigsaw ? I usually cut templates on my bandsaw,then smooth with sander our by hand. I dont know what you have for tools so it is hard to give more advice.If you elaborate more on your work area ,tools and skill set more definite answers to your questions will begin to flow. MIke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Welcome to the Creek. I would use 1/8 or 1/4 tempered hardboard. Probably 1/8,it is cheap and durable. Process,do you have a jigsaw ? I usually cut templates on my bandsaw,then smooth with sander our by hand. I dont know what you have for tools so it is hard to give more advice.If you elaborate more on your work area ,tools and skill set more definite answers to your questions will begin to flow. MIke
    As I'm just starting out, my work area and tools have been geared towards the home honey-do projects. Work area: a portion of the garage, or driveway, with a workbench, saw horses, etc. Tools: Dewalt job saw, cordless tools (jigsaw, circular saw, drill, impact driver).

In using the templates in the future, I plan on using a router for some of the work. Is there a benefit one way or the other for the template thickness (1/8 vs 1/4)?

Welcome to the Creek Mike,
    I typically use 1/4" MDF for templates, it gives you enough room for the bearing to ride against and stands up to the removal stress of double sided tape better than 1/8" .
    Regards - Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Welcome to the Creek Mike,
    I typically use 1/4" MDF for templates, it gives you enough room for the bearing to ride against and stands up to the removal stress of double sided tape better than 1/8" .
    Regards - Bill
    It maybe a silly question, it just shows how much of a novice I am, is there specific double sided tape that you have found that you prefer?

-Mike

I also use 1/4" MDF for templates the majority of the time. It's more immediately obtainable than true 1/4" tempered hard board these days...I often buy the 24x48 pieces from the 'borg for that. In fact, it's the only sheet good I ever buy from a home center. LOL

The reason I use the 1/4" material is that it's sturdy, easy to refine the edges after initial cut out and also a useable thickness for template routing. It's also good for certain jigs and using one kind of material for multiple things is more economical. For things I just need a template for simple layout, I'll choose whatever I have lying around including very thin material scraps.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Another 1/4" (and 1/2") MDF user here. I do a lot of templates and get a lot a life out of these. A wipe of shellac or glue size along the edge goes a long way toward increasing that usable life.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-31-2018 at 6:20 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I like 1/4 inch hardboard but I have also used plywood.

I prefer 1/4" plywood because it's easier to sand to final template shape...it's very rare that I will go for MDF as I find it far more time consuming to get things just right. Yep, there can be voids in plywood, but a bit of Bondo and you're ready to go!

and one need not use 1/4" for the real thing...there are many times I use 1/4" to make a template master and use 1/2" or 3/4" as my needs dictate (cutting length of a top bearing flush cutting bit can require thicker templates to allow you to make a shallower cut for mortises)

If I plan on using the template for a "while" I'll coat the edges with super glue to harden them up a bit.

In general any template I make is a one job thing (the exception to this concept are my set of templates for routing out Segatsune hidden hinges)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Randall View Post
    It maybe a silly question, it just shows how much of a novice I am, is there specific double sided tape that you have found that you prefer?

-Mike
    Not even close to a "silly" question on this site, or anywhere else. I have tried a wide variety of tapes and have settled on Fastcap SpeedTape. WoodCraft carries it and I believe it is also available from Amazon. It is easy to get one corner of the backing to peel, holds just the right amount (template doesn't shift but is easy to separate with a 5 in 1 tool), and is pretty easy to remove. I don't like the fiber reinforced kind of tape at all.

I use 3/4" MDF. I typically nail through the template into the workpiece using micropins. The holes, if visible, are easy to hide.

I use whichever material I have scraps of, including solid wood, if its a usable size.

Do you guys that use MDF protect the edge of the template with shellac or poly?

I like 1/2” MDF for routing templates. For my last two projects I had templates CNC cut at a local mill work shop. I harden the edges with some thin CA if they will need to hold up for a lot of parts, but usually it’s not needed with the 1/2”. I also like the 1/2” because if I ding the edge of a template on the corner of a machine it is usually still usable with a quick sanding.

So looks like you got the "Creek" flowing now. I use the 1/8 hardboard for templates to mark and cut ,not for use with a router. I too have used whatever is laying around in my shop. I have not used MDF but maybe I will give it a shot. Mike.