Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPE box

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Oh, it is pronounced eee'-pay as well..., not like yipes!!! Not sure if I have heard it called Brazilian Walnut though. Color range can be huge, with greenish tint being common with streaking of reds and oranges. Don't think I have seen the color in the pictures up above though...
    From the Wood Database, it is call ed Ipe, Brazilian Walnut, or Lapacho
    Scientific Name: Handroanthus spp. (formerly placed in the Tabebuia genus)

For a zillion photos: http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ipe.htm

To put it in perspective, Ipe is a touch lighter in weight than Mountain Mahogany but significantly harder on the Janka scale (15,620 N vs 14,230 N). Mature Ipe trees are larger, 2-4' dia.

JKJ

I'm amazed that you could turn the stuff. I've only used it for decking and the stuff has an unbelievable amount of silica in it. It seamed to dull almost anything I threw at it in a short amount of time.

It's called "eee_pay because when you buy it's you "will-pay"

When I first got some, years ago, it was going for $3/bf.... I am a bit surprised that it is harder than Mountain Mahogany... That is really hard. You can lay a board out in the sun and see it glitter from all of the silica. If I rip it on the table saw with a zero clearance insert, you get a pile of resin where the blade goes through the insert... Interesting stuff..

robo hippy

I use Thompson tools and didn't have any trouble turning it. I was slow going on the inside so I switched to my Hunter carbide tools. They leave such a nice finish on hard woods.