Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else suffering from cold/flu more this year?

Anyone else suffering from cold/flu more this year?

I've already gotten the flu bug and colds a handful of time since fall. Nothing major, but it's never been like this. The latest cold bug has lingered for over six weeks now, I'd feel better for a week and then back to being miserable with congestion, sneezing, coughs, etc.

Maybe a dumb question, but are you taking any meds for it or running a fever?
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

For the flu, I took vitamin C's, aspirins, and slept for 4 days straight. It actually went away quite fast.

For my cold, it's just vitamin C's and lots of tea/water/liquid. Not really running any fever, it's just mucous and coughs as a result. I don't think any meds will get rid of the cold viruses, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but are you taking any meds for it or running a fever?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nguyen View Post
    For the flu, I took vitamin C's, aspirins, and slept for 4 days straight. It actually went away quite fast.

For my cold, it's just vitamin C's and lots of tea/water/liquid. Not really running any fever, it's just mucous and coughs as a result. I don't think any meds will get rid of the cold viruses, right?
    Correct. Just dampens the symptoms, unfortunately. Have you tried any over the counter meds? Got a ballpark estimate of how much water you drink? Best thing is rest and to flush your system. I used a detox and it helped greatly reduce the length of my cold.

Actually, exactly the opposite..."knock on veneered particle board"...I've only had one brief cold and no flu this year. Part of what I attribute that to is retiring last fall which means I'm not traveling to meet with customers and having as much exposure anymore. And I guess the flu shot worked for me. Interestingly, nobody else in the house has had any issues this year, either...and that's a university professor, a college student and an adult daughter who works in floral in a super market. Lots of exposure there!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Knocking on some wood for ya man, that's incredibly lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Knocking on some wood for ya man, that's incredibly lucky!
    After you're done knocking, laser a four leaf clover on it, too!
    --

That's interesting because the CDC (or some agency... forgot which) said that they had guessed the wrong strains for this year's flu season which saw a huge spike in the flu bugs going around in December/January. You really got lucky, me thinks it'd be a good idea to buy a few lottery tickets..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Actually, exactly the opposite..."knock on veneered particle board"...I've only had one brief cold and no flu this year. Part of what I attribute that to is retiring last fall which means I'm not traveling to meet with customers and having as much exposure anymore. And I guess the flu shot worked for me. Interestingly, nobody else in the house has had any issues this year, either...and that's a university professor, a college student and an adult daughter who works in floral in a super market. Lots of exposure there!

Sadly, my luck with lottery tickets has been the exactly opposite of my luck with cold and flu. ROFLOL...
    --

The whole family went down with the flu in January and I lost my voice for 6 weeks. Other than that though, I haven't been sick any more than usual.

Since a 2015 heart attack and a few surgeries since, and last year battling thyroid problems due to a heart med, I resisted getting a flu shot. 2 doctors said don't, 2 said do. I finally got one in Dec. Haven't had a cold or flu, so far. I do make a point of washing my hands a lot, and carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I did not have the flu or a cold for a year or more. I take 2 vitamin D's per day in the fall/ winter, one the rest if the year. I am rarely around kids, so I think that helps.

I've been coughing and hacking for over 8 weeks. I had a fever for a day and a half in the first week. I was almost over it a few days ago and it came back. The longest I ever stayed sick before this was 2 weeks.

Like Jim, I have been free from anything this year. Last cold was in July or Aug last year for a couple of days then it went away. No flu (and no flu shot) for 20 years. Kids are all grown but I was traveling a great deal last fall and winter. I have three grand kids, two are school age, that at my house frequently during the week, so still getting a dose of germs, though not as bad as when our own kids were in school. No idea why haven't been sick much. Did have prostate cancer last year, so perhaps this is Karma's way of leveling things out.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

When I started teaching preschool kids every sunday I think I caught every cold that came through the community. Now, I almost never get a cold even in proximity to sick grandkids with fevers and wiping snotty noses on coughing 5-year-olds. I read that once you get a cold it can immunize you against caching the same strain again. I don't know if that's a fact but is seems possible.

JKJ