Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slight Predicament

You seem to think it is a bad idea for you to rotate around on other machines and for others to learn how to use the laser. If you are the only one who can run the laser what happens if you get sick, go on vacation or quit? What happens if there are no orders one week for the laser or it breaks down and is out of service for a week and they need another operator for one of the other machines? Sounds like the new guy may have considered those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    So, I have a new Supervisor at work.. again. I notice quite often he does things that the CEO and VP don't approve of, and am wondering where the "line in the sand is" with giving him advice. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, and most definitely don't want to get off on the wrong foot with him, but I don't wanna see the guy fail either due to simple ignorance. So do I tell him every time I notice he's doing something they don't like, or do I let him find out himself? Because I already feel like I'm micromanaging him in a way, which to me, seems highly inappropriate. But then again, I'm 22 so what do I know? Any advice? What would you do?
    I'd tell you to mind your own ...
    He should learn from his boss, not his underling

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    You seem to think it is a bad idea for you to rotate around on other machines and for others to learn how to use the laser. If you are the only one who can run the laser what happens if you get sick, go on vacation or quit? What happens if there are no orders one week for the laser or it breaks down and is out of service for a week and they need another operator for one of the other machines? Sounds like the new guy may have considered those questions.

Based on the reasoning he told me, he didn't agree that I should be stationary solely because "I was still productive".
    I don't think it's a bad idea for others to know how to use it, in fact, I think it would be smart for two or three others to know how, but again, not my decision.
    Well, unless I'm contagious, I come to work and stay unless they say I need to leave, I don't like missing days. If I quit, they would have to refer to the multiple word documents I created to show someone what they need to know, and I kept it simple enough that most people should be able to use it just fine. A vacation wouldn't be a problem. Has to be at least two weeks in advance, and even then I don't take more than a day or two at a time, don't really get out much lol. Any custom order that comes through has to be sent to me, and it happens before the order is even placed, so we would know in advance. It's set up that way partly to avoid those instances.
    If there are no orders, then I create stock, so I'm always busy.
    Now, if it breaks down, I fix it. Part of my job. If I have to wait on parts, I do other stuff while I wait cause then there's really no choice. Or I take the day if it looks like they're struggling to find me something to do.
    If they need operators for other machines, that's not my problem I'd say. Hire someone. Just had like 6 new people start recently I believe.
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I'd tell you to mind your own ...
    He should learn from his boss, not his underling
    I think that's totally a fair response too. That's why I'm calling it a slight predicament

So, I have a new Supervisor at work.. again. I notice quite often he does things that the CEO and VP don't approve of, and am wondering where the "line in the sand is" with giving him advice. I don't want to come off as a know-it-all, and most definitely don't want to get off on the wrong foot with him, but I don't wanna see the guy fail either due to simple ignorance. So do I tell him every time I notice he's doing something they don't like, or do I let him find out himself? Because I already feel like I'm micromanaging him in a way, which to me, seems highly inappropriate. But then again, I'm 22 so what do I know? Any advice? What would you do?
    I would not stick my nose in his business at, at least if its not requested by him. Let him make the mistakes....remember you did not hire him and you do not pay his salary. Funny thing about trying to help...it can turn into smelly stuff that gets all over you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    I would not stick my nose in his business at, at least if its not requested by him. Let him make the mistakes....remember you did not hire him and you do not pay his salary. Funny thing about trying to help...it can turn into smelly stuff that gets all over you.

No kidding. I appreciate the advice given.

When I was 25, I worked at a place for a short time, where the boss was stealing both from other nearby businesses and from the company. Got so I hated the guy. He even stole the lumber for the Santa Claus house for the mall. I knew he could make my life miserable if he wanted to, so I bit my tongue until I could find a job elsewhere and be on that job securely before doing anything. Then I took the evidence I had gathered to the District Attorney's office and turned it into them. I sent copies of the items to the home office of the company at the same time. Came out from work a week later and there the SOB was waiting for me, screaming obscenities and waving a piece of pipe. I got the security guard for my new employer to call the police. The guy ended up doing 18 months on a plea deal for the thefts. I thought I had done everything right and nearly ended up in the hospital or worse.

Geeze Perry, that sounds way worse than my situation. Alarming thinking about how many objects so close to me could be used as a deadly weapon. Hope it doesn't ever come to that, would seriously hate to have to put someone down again.

Everybody's cautions are well stated. Beyond offering to answer any questions he might have about how to do something, etc., I'd also advise being careful. Obviously, safety issues, etc., are always something not to be avoided, but in general, the dude has to sink or swim. Just continue doing the best job you can and yea, if you feel the need, document things privately just in case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Be guided by what you think is right for the company and kind to the employee. Don’t get caught up in anything more complicated than this.

I own a company of 50 people and the people who last are the people who do the above. Don’t worry about your position. If you are coming from a place of kindness the right people will notice and respond. If they don’t, you don’t belong there.
    +1. Absolutely agree.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Agreed. I thought about simply sitting down with the VP and making my concerns as crystal as possible, but upon further reflection, probably best I stay out of it as much as I possibly can. Thank you to everyone who chimed in!

Agreed. I thought about simply sitting down with the VP and making my concerns as crystal as possible, but upon further reflection, probably best I stay out of it as much as I possibly can. Thank you to everyone who chimed in!
    Good for you. Staying out of it as much as possible is the no-lose path for you. Every other path has the potential to backfire.
    There are certain high performing companies that have a culture of kindness that encourages 360 degree feedback, but they're rare, very rare, and it is human nature that unsolicited advice from a subordinate, especially one who is considerably younger, is not particularly welcome.
    Also, you haven't mentioned how long you've worked there, but if you're only 22 I'd guess it's not that long. If so, it might be smart to give yourself more time and experience to be more certain that your opinions are right, regardless of how smart you obviously are. Sorry if this sounds like age discrimination, but hey, when I was 22 I had opinions about things and later realized my perspective was, to put it politely - less than complete.
    The exception would be a safety issue, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.
    Edwin
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 03-30-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Good for you. Staying out of it as much as possible is the no-lose path for you.
    There are certain high performing companies that have a culture of kindness that encourages 360 degree feedback, but they're rare, very rare, and it is human nature that unsolicited advice from a subordinate who is considerably younger is not particularly welcome.
    Also, you haven't mentioned how long you've worked there, but if you're only 22 I'd guess it's not that long. If so, it might be smart to give yourself more time and experience to be more certain that your opinions are right. Sorry if this sounds like age discrimination, but hey, when I was 22 I had opinions about things and later realized my perspective was, to put it politely - less than complete.
    The exception would be a safety issue, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here.
    Edwin
    You won't ever find me preaching age discrimination. Ever. I totally admit that I'm by no means an oracle, I don't pretend to know how everything should be running exactly, and I for sure wouldn't want to be in a supervisor position any time soon. I know how young I am, and while I believe I soak up information fairly quick, and welcome new responsibilities at work as often as I can, I still have a lot of learning to do, and I'm sure some growing up, however long that may take haha
    No kidding on the human nature part, that's why I typically don't give advice to the older generation, especially at work. I know how it can look/seem, but if they ask, I'm more than happy to give my .o2.

You won't ever find me preaching age discrimination. Ever. I totally admit that I'm by no means an oracle, I don't pretend to know how everything should be running exactly, and I for sure wouldn't want to be in a supervisor position any time soon. I know how young I am, and while I believe I soak up information fairly quick, and welcome new responsibilities at work as often as I can, I still have a lot of learning to do, and I'm sure some growing up, however long that may take haha
    No kidding on the human nature part, that's why I typically don't give advice to the older generation, especially at work. I know how it can look/seem, but if they ask, I'm more than happy to give my .o2.
    Sounds like a very mature attitude.

I appreciate that Doug